New Rec EXP wing losing air!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Vipa

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi guys (and gals)

Just got my brand new Rec EXP (on a Transpac) and thought it may be prudent to do a gear check before hitting open water so got it wet at the pool for the first time on Friday and realised it was losing air. I have narrowed the problem to the bottom dump/OP valve and have tried stripping it and cleaning it etc but it still loses air no matter how much is in the wing... if the wing is fully inflated then a very good stream of bubbles exits and reduces as the pressure does but never seals! empties itself almost completely in about 4 or 5 mins!

is this a known issue? is there a simple fix or do I need to return it to my dive store for replacement? I live in the UK by the way..

Other than that... what an incredible piece of kit! the freedom after wearing a traditional jacket BC is sublime and the trim and control I can now acheive under water are in a different league to what I was used to...... not to mention the comfort with the Transpac!!!!

Cheers
Paul

Hello Paul,

First off, there was a recall notice on certain DR OPV springs and may be applicable to your problem.
http://www.diverite.com/products/service/opvspringrecall/ Probably not the case as you stated your kit is new.

Here are a couple of things to look for to see if you can effect a fix on your own. Determine what part of the OPV the leak is coming from. If it's coming from the mating surface where the plug interfaces with the inner bladder flange, make sure that all the parts are clean and no gouges are on the flange or plug seal. If the leak is coming from around the OPV, it could be a simple matter of re-torquing the fitting. It's easier to do this with the proper tools, but most likely you don't have them, so try this:

Remove the elbow fitting from the shoulder attach point-this will substitute for the 12 point wrench. (see the links below) Now, with the cage and plug removed from the OPV firmly grasp the inner flange from the back side of the bladder (you are holding the flange, bladder, and outer wing cover) and use the elbow to re-torque the outer nut.

Pictures are worth a thousand words, have a look at these links and I'm sure you'll get the idea. Pay particular attention to the warning about not turning the wrong parts during disassembly.
http://www.divegearexpress.com/library/elbows.shtml
http://www.divematrix.com/showthread.php?3945-DSS-OPV-replacement

Of course, make sure all the seals are in place too.

Couv

Back
Top Bottom