Dive Report: Ft. Pickens Pensacola 08 Aug 2010

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MRXRAY

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hetland and I had some much bigger plans for diving today, but they were canceled and plan B (Ft. Pickens) turned out to be a darn good choice. First, It was a real pleasure just to be in the water with Hetland again, it is the first time we've been in saltwater together since late June....YIKES!

We met at Ft. Pickens very near high tide (8:00 AM ish) and the water was already packed with divers. We geared up after saying hello to a few Dive Pro's folks and made our way to the oil free/boomless water and splashed at just about 8:30. Viz was pretty nice on the first dive, probably pushing 20-25 feet so we ventured out into the sand to explore. There is a lot of June grass in the holes and deeper rock beds away from the jetty which the sting rays seem to love to hide in so we just explored deep out into the channel and goofed around in about 50-55 feet. One item of note is that the "Bob Sled" (Propane tank with the top cut off) has been moved quite a ways from the culvert which is also turned at a different angle. I can only guess that it was hooked by an anchor and dragged off. It's too bad as this used to be a fantastic hiding spot for some big grouper, but I think that has been diminished now.

After playing deep for quite a while and avoiding the OW students we then moved in toward shallower water where we played with an Octopus for quite some time trying to get him to eat a small crab we had found earlier. After 13 minutes we gave up and left a very happy albeit pissed off crab to tell his wild crab party story to his crab friends.

Octopus:

P8088101.jpg

Very relieved crab....Well here he was just pissed off! ....Try to make a meal out of me will ya!

P8088110.jpg

So anyways a long our merry, picture taking way we went, snapping a shooting like rabid dogs.:popcorn: It was GREAT! We spent 93 minutes on the first dive with a max depth of 55 feet and I showed a min temp of 84*....Might be getting to hot for the shorty!

So we spun around quickly and headed right back to the water for dive two in hopes of breaking my long standing record of a 120 minute dive. The current had picked up a good bit and the viz dropped down to about 10-15 feet but seemed to increase a decrease unexpectedly with the surge in current. It was neat as we dove to watch as the current got stronger the seemingly natural movement of the fish to move to the up current side of the Jetty to feed. It was especially noticeable with the Flounder who were stacked like timber at the edge of the rocks and sand.

So we took our pictures and videos, I cut a ton of fish line out and collected a couple of pounds of lead weights while we watched the time tick away.... I'll tell you two hours in a strong current taking pictures, is a LONG time. I was getting tired but at long last we called the dive and headed back to shore after 123 minutes, max depth was 31 feet and the min temp was 84*.

We topped it off with a stop at Fuji Sushi bar in Gulf Breeze for some awesome rolls, in fact Alex says the Fuji River is his new all time favorite roll! So like my home boy rapper would say...."Today was a good day!"...... :wink:

Some more pictures:

P8088236.jpg

P8088069.jpg

P8088071.jpg

P8088079.jpg

P8088084.jpg

Not the best photo.... But you get the point. He needs his privacy!

P8088085.jpg

P8088088.jpg

P8088092.jpg

Why the long face?

P8088111.jpg

More x 2:

P8088112.jpg

P8088115.jpg

P8088120.jpg

P8088122.jpg

P8088127.jpg

8 out of 10 Dentist recommend flossing with fishing line?

P8088139.jpg

P8088153.jpg

P8088156.jpg

P8088176.jpg

P8088182.jpg

More x 3:

The Golf cart:

P8088191.jpg

P8088193.jpg

P8088198.jpg

P8088215.jpg

P8088224.jpg

My Money shot.... Tese little bastards are QUICK and getting one framed in a shot is tough. Let me tell you that I have 37 of every different angle and blurred to prove it. This is a juvenile and is not much bigger than your thumb....At least I'm proud of the shot!

P8088223.jpg

And finally.....

Here is my what the hell is it shot of the week. I saw this on the swim out, pointed it out to Hetland took a couple of shots and then we tried to scoop it out of the sand thinking it was a juvenile lizard fish just below the sand. I think from this one photo that I took is that it is some sort of Eel. You have to look at it for a minute or two to make out the details but it is in the correct orientation and if you look you'll see the jaw is set back and it has the tell tale Eel nostrils hanging down between it's upper and lower jaws. It's a great find for Ft. Pickens, but what kind is it? Dave C. ?

P8088178.jpg

Thanks for posting! I should have checked the tides for this weekend

Sounds like a set of nice dives. Looks like an eel in the last pic to me. Fort Pickens was the first place that I got to see a saltwater eel, probably back in '03/'04.

Really nice work on the moon jelly, fireworm and hermit crab (the one in the murex shell) photos!

I'll add that I was happily surprised at the condition of the area. Everything seemed as well as it was pre-oil. I'm hoping we dodged the bigger bullet.

The Fuji River roll... I had to close my eyes when I ate it. Words can't describe how good it was.

I'll try to post some photos later tonight.

Thanks for the report!
That looks good enough to drive over to make a couple of dives!

Wow!! Awesome Guys!! Closing your eyes to eat something? Yes that sounds like you Hetland. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom