Info wanted on Light Signals ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Big Blue One

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Can someone help me out here as I am keen to learn more.

I only learnt the basic light signals in my standard AOW but have read alot on this board how lights (even during the day) are extremely useful for buddy communication.

Does anyone have information on "Light Signals 102"
- their benefits
- most useful signals
- how to do them

Who teaches these in depth or is this a word-of-mouth thing from diving elders to younger tribe members

I use a light during the day to save those "Look at that...", "Where?" type conversations.

Shine the light at it and hey presto!

Dom

Big Blue One once bubbled...

I only learnt the basic light signals in my standard AOW but have read alot on this board how lights (even during the day) are extremely useful for buddy communication.

- their benefits
- most useful signals
- how to do them

Who teaches these in depth or is this a word-of-mouth thing from diving elders to younger tribe members

I have found light signals to be a very useful communications means for all sorts of diving. The group I dive with uses bright lights which are visible even in environments with plenty of ambient light.

We keep our light beams pointing 2 to 4 meters in front of us as we proceed along a surface, in such a way that all members of the buddy team can see each other's beams. The light beams then are a form of passive communication. The presence of a calm and steady light beam in front of you from your buddy tells you that your buddy is there, knows where you are, and is not having any problems. You have much less need to turn and look at your buddy, you just need to keep track of the buddy's light signal in front of you. "Drawing" a circle with the light on a surface in front of your buddy is the equivalent of an "okay" hand signal and requires an acknowledging light circle in the same spot from your buddy. Moving the light rapidly from side to side in your buddy's field of view tells your buddy that you are having a problem and need assistance. Moving the light forward and back in a deliberate way is used to gain your buddy's attention when there is no emergency.

You will not find much instruction in light signalling in general open water classes. This is something covered in detail in cave diving courses.

Big Blue One once bubbled...

- their benefits
- most useful signals
- how to do them

Great questions!

I'm not an "elder" on the board...or by any means:) but here's a little more info...

There is a broad range of use of lights for night diving.
Underwater, as mentioned above, the presence of your buddies dive light makes for easy buddy location. Many divers feel that it is easier to stay in buddy contact at night.

Signals:

Signals should be slow and definate. They should be directed slightly in front of your buddy in plain view.

slow, large cicle pattern= OK. or are you OK? When a buddy gives this signal, it should always be confirmed, just as an OK signal during daylight dives.

Gentle side to side= look at... This signal is used to gain buddy's attention, ie: to look at something in particular, or to gain attention for a following hand signal. It is important not to rush this signal, although you may be excited about the huge stingray, you do not want to confuse this signal with the following one.

Rapid Up and down= something's wrong, come here quickly.

Hand signals can also be used a t night. Point your dive light toward your chest (at arms length), use your other hand to communicate normal hand signals. Never make hand signals while directing light on your hand TOWARD your buddy. This is difficult to see and often flashes binding light into yourbuddy's eyes.

It is important to discuss ALL signals with your buddy/group during the briefing. Some people may be accustomed to different signals and you must be clear as to what each one means.

Lights are used for many other purposes at the surface, on boats, on shore, anchor/mooring lines.

If you surface during a night, dive, you can make a large OK (circle) sign above the water to signal the boat crew, buddy, or surface personel. Be careful not to submerge the light, show full circle above the water. Submerging the light in mid circle could be misinterpreted as rapid up and down. Should you need assistance, establish positive bouyancy and signal rapid up and down.

Dive lights, glow sticks and strobe lights are often used at the base of an anchor or mooring line to facilitate location/navigation of the starting point/boat.

Glow sticks and stobes are sometimes used to mark buddy teams. These are commonly worn attached to the snorkel, mask, tank or bcd. Snorkel mount offers a good view from any direction as it stays high above divers head. However many people prefer not to have the extra wieght of a glow stick on the snorkel.

Lights can be used on shore dives to mark entry/exit points. Use one light low on shoreline (but higher than surf so it can be seen from the water) and another light higher, directly in line behind
the first. Aligning the lights from the water insures that you exit where you entered.

Hope this helps...

OK, here comes the PADI plug.........

PADI (as well as other agencies) offers a Night Diver Specialty course. This class involves brief home study, a video, some classroom time and open water training.

Besides practicing underwater and land techniques of using lights, the class also covers proper maintenance for dive lights.
This program is designed to help build skills and confidence in order to better enjoy recreational night diving.

Night diving is a huge topic. There is a lot to be learned. This is just a little general ifo to get you started. Hope it's helpful.

Good luck...

Andrew

good point about the buddy checking before getting into the water.

Had a couple of instances where I have had standard signals ignored underwater - good thing one of them wasn't "I'm stuck in an entanglement and am fast running out of air"

any extra signals any of you cavey's want to share with us reef guys ?

for signalling and illumination is, as you might imagine, a big topic in cave training. It's really part of the mindset you need to adopt to deal with an overhead environment, where visibility can be suddenly lost. Of course there is much more to cave training than how to use lights.

It's not as if cave training teaches you an underwater Morse code or something. The light training is more about discipline, procedures and standards, and how to deal with failures. The passive and active signals described above are pretty much the standard package. You use conventional hand signals for most other things, and point the light at your hand so your buddy can see what you're signalling.

The light procedures used by cavers work just about as well on a reef, particularly at night or in low visibility. That's why some people take cave training, even if they won't have much chance to do cave dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom