The value of unusual drills

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Phish-phood

Reaction score
I posted a thread earlier looking for some advice on how to focus on a gauge with no mask on.

As well as getting some useful advice I also got the expected and very legitimate comments about where my buddy was, how I ended up in the situation etc and it got me thinking about whether doing these worst case scenario drills were of any use.

An example of a couple that we do are:

Mask and reg recovery. The theory behind this is you get caught by some-ones fin and lose mask and reg at the same time. so what we do is lose our mask by taking it off and dropping it in the pool beside us and at the same time spit out our reg. The idea is you must recover your air supply by finding your octopus and then either find your spare mask put it on, clear and then switch back to main reg and attempt to recover your mask from the water, all while maintaining bouyancy.

Reading gauges under water without a mask which is what I described in an earlier thread. Basically you lose your mask, viz is terrible buddy is MIA, no spare mask, anything like that that basically means you are in control of your own assent with impaired vision and need to be able to see your gauges/computer

Other ones we do are practicing buddy drills or OOA drills with no mask on, reaching blind for each others octopus so we build up that second nature regarding the configuration of each others kit

None of these are taught by any agency and are just something we do to build up our own skills and confidence. Does anyone else do suff like this or is it just me!!!

Shoot, I can't read my gauge without my bifocals. No way can I do it without a mask. Luckily I don't need my gauge to control my ascent speed.

Also, if your second is necklaced, you don't have to grope around trying to find it. Your buddies "octo" will also be easy to find because it will be in his/her mouth :)

Your skills practice is commendable. I do agree with MikeF though, you don't need to see your gauge to ascend safely.

MD

Ears are amazingly good judges of ascent rate. They are not good at reading depth unless you choose not to equalize, but the combination of ears and being able to feel air expand in the wings give a pretty good feel for ascent rate.

MechDiver once bubbled...
Also, if your second is necklaced, you don't have to grope around trying to find it. Your buddies "octo" will also be easy to find because it will be in his/her mouth :)

MD

Mech is right, that configuration is awsome for stuff like that, your bud "Octo" (his primary) will be reall easy to find cause its got bubbles coming out of it. What ever your current config try to get all you buds the same that way you know their gear like you know yours.

I try to practice stuff like that too, hopefully I'll never need it but I do like the extra water confidence it brings.

In the AirFoce Pararescumen (in their indoctrination school) are made to buddy breath w/ a snorkle w/ the instructors "harass" them, Will they ever need to do that? NO, but you cant argue w/ the extra confidence and ability to resist panic it gives you.

Keep at it, but also practice boyancy and stuff you can use one every dive.

OK, I'll ask: what is the relation of ascent speed to ear bubbling?

I suppose, to answer my own question, that if one calibrates ones ears while one can see one's guage, that feeing can be used when you can't see your gauge. I'm gonna have to do that next time.

-Simon

Phish-phood once bubbled...
I posted a thread earlier looking for some advice on how to focus on a gauge with no mask on.

<snip>

None of these are taught by any agency and are just something we do to build up our own skills and confidence. Does anyone else do suff like this or is it just me!!!

It has been said that you can cup your hands over your eyes creating a "visor" on your forhead and then trap air from your regulator there, thus creating an air pocket that will allow you to see your gauges.

I personally can never remember to try this, so I can't verify if it works or not, but that may be one solution.

I regularly practice skills as well. Line drills, no mask line following, no mask ascents, etc. I try to practice some skill on practically every dive I do. It's the only way to stay sharp and fluid in your execution of them.

Thanks for all the responses guys.

I guess I am cause I don't need glasses so worrying about opening my eyes under water is more a phsycological thing for me.

I agree with what everyone is saying about knowing your buddies kit inside out and backwards which is part of the reason we do some of these drills so we literally could reach for something with our eyes closed. And we definitely do them while maintaining bouyancy which to be honest I find easier.

Aside from the confidence factor I really enjoy doing things like this and making up combinations of things for each other to do, I can't wait to start practicising the kit exchange while buddy breathing, I think that will be fun :wink:

Glad to see that you enjoy skills practice.

There are a lot of neat "games" that you can play to improve skills and comfort in the water..

Keep having fun!!!

Cave Diver once bubbled...
It has been said that you can cup your hands over your eyes creating a "visor" on your forhead and then trap air from your regulator there, thus creating an air pocket that will allow you to see your gauges.
I just heard about that last night after a dive where I took my mask off during a stop, and just for fun I tried to read my gauges. I could see my SPG just fine (that's one of the unexpected benefits of using analog) but forget the computer, even with the backlighting on. I'll have to try the cup method next time!

I regularly practice skills as well. Line drills, no mask line following, no mask ascents, etc. I try to practice some skill on practically every dive I do. It's the only way to stay sharp and fluid in your execution of them.
AMEN. If I go two weeks without practicing an out of air, my buoyancy will most likely suck during the next one. Last night we did at least four OOA drills, randomly and by surprise, and on my very first one, our buoyancy was rock solid.

Playing games in the water column is really, really fun. And I completely believe that it's the ONLY way to keep your skills sharp. I'm finally able to take my mask off and stay relaxed and calm, and I even enjoyed it last night. I've come a long way from crying every time. :)

simonk999, I have tracked my ear response to depth changes and found that a change of 2 feet would always cause a crackle (ascending) or pressure that needed to be cleared (descending). Sometimes it only takes one foot. I haven't tested it on a long descent or ascent to measure distance, but I'll give it a try.

Margaret

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom