Does Anyone Dive PNG Anymore?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SnappyTheDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
I used to go to PNG quite often but have not for several years. Now I hardly see any postings. Is this because there are fewer boats/resorts operating? Anyone with any recent experiences?

well, this board is heavy on US members and it's a long way for them. The economy has been down for years which affests travel, and many people that are traveling are taking advantage of great deals closer to home. Also there's lots of travel warnings for the area which will discourage many folks, possibly more so than in the past?

My wife, daughter, and I just got back from Tufi and a week on the FeBrina. Really nice diving!

i'm also trying to get png info- thinking of booking with kabaira dive in rabaul and having a hard time getting info about them that's recent.... any info about png would be great :)

Trying to decide which operator to dive with :) any reccs? currently trying to decide between kabaira, tufi and walindi- will be travelling solo in july.... have found some trip reports but nothing too recent. thanks!

Last edited:
PNG IMO offers some of the best diving in the world, you won't be disappointed.

Lunahippo, I dived with Kabaira dive a few years ago, Stephen Woolcott and his wife Marsha run the business. Kabirra dive is on the other side of the peninsulla from Rabaul but you can still see the active volacano plumes from just about anywhere. Very basic accomodation but we were advised Stephen is adding more facilities. Food was OK they have staff to do the cooking, basic but I found nice. The resort is not near any town and is very quite ( not in a built up area). Steven picks you up at the airport in Kokopo and after a very bumpy ride over the hill etc you get to Kaibaria resort. Extremely scenic place PNG . You can visit the volcano day or night, we did both, standing there in pitch black you can hear the roar of the volcano and see the glow from its crater, which is unforgetable and awesome, dive on reefs, Jap Zero, an obliterated Jap water tanker , Georges wreck near Rabaul Harbour, viz not great on the Rabaul side but OK , this is due to the continuous stream of ash belching out of the active volcano. Nice sight seeing opportunity, WW2 bunkers , guns, submarine caves, just out front of the caves is a 300mtr drop off. On the Kabiara side water is clearer as they do not get the ash drifting over them generally.
Diving was good Stephen has been there for years and new all the good spots for the day. Serach for Kabiara Dive Rabaul : what you see on theoir web site is what you get.
Cheers

Fishfngr

I have been to Madang, Kavieng, Rabaul in PNG all are great dive spots. 1 dozen of us are revisiting Kavieng in april- may for a 12 nighter in 2011. As Jamie 999 says its great diving there, and I share this opinion for the places we have visited.
Port Moresby is not a safe place and any touristy stuff needs to carefuly considered, But once out of the capital I have experienced nil isues with locals or dive operators.
Fishfngr

Back
Top Bottom