St. Andrews dive report for 8\12\10

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tessunderwater

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Okay, I've snorkeled this site before i got certified and it was great, diving it made the experience even better. We got there about an hour before high tide and there was a steady current going into the channel to descend. Once we descended down along the rocks the current eased up a bit. Saw many interesting creatures: Giant goliath grouper about 3 or 4 of them, arrow crabs, stone crabs and of course the sheeps head. I was hoping to spot an octopus sleeping in a hole below the rocks but just didn't have any luck. Also saw a couple of toad fish. Visibility on the first dive was about 40 feet, the second dive was as tide was coming in and we stayed out an hour for the second, visibility dropped to about 25 feet. The current was also stronger on the way back in the second time, no jellyfish!! :) Oh, had first hiccup, got my octo caught in a little stray fishing line, no big deal was able to untangle and tucked the octo away to prevent dragging and continue the dive. Had a blast. oops make that 8\11\10

Generally, you have to be a bit lucky to find an octopus during daylight hours, and almost always, they will be in their dens.

Once the tides swing around, and if you're comfortable, try a night dive at Ft. Pickens (I usually put a tank light on my dive flag). You can usually spot 4-5 octos scouring the structure for tasty crabs and other critters.

Thanks for the report

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom