DIR pockets

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aquaregia

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've been following the "pockets" thread on the Hogarthian forum, and I'm wondering what the DIR take on the options are. So far most of the DIR equipment options have made a lot of sense to me. I just recently ordered a BP/W and I'm trying to figure out what I'm going to do with the stuff that I currently keep in my BCD.

The options seem to be glue-on pockets, harness pockets, x-shorts or diver's holster.

Glue-on pockets seem to be the preferred option, both from simplicity and reliability points of view. Unfortunately, the permanency is a killer for me as I'm currently diving a $30 wetsuit, and I wonder what I would do if I were to return to the Caribbean where a 7mm wetsuit would be inappropriate. A trilaminate suit isn't an option at this point :)

Harness pockets seem pretty good at first, but they seem like they might get in the way of a can light or a long hose. The garter-belt style pockets that DiveRite offer (http://www.diverite.com/products/catalog/pockets/ac3201) seem a little better, however the straps seem like they might pose an entanglement hazard.

I'm leery of the x-shorts (http://www.dive-xtras.com/cart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=44&idcategory=38) because it seems like I'd need a different size over a 7mm suit than over bare skin, which means it would have one of the two disadvantages of the glue-ons and it's another thing to leave at home.

The diver's holster (http://www.cadivingnews.com/article/846/IST-Holsters-) is what sort of prompted this post. It seems light and adjustable, and fairly streamlined. It's attached purely by velcro, which is not very reassuring from my experience with cummerbunds. Should I be worried about them not staying attached to me, or catching on things (like harbor seals)?

The final option would be to do without pockets. Is there a better way to store an SMB, reel, slate, mirror and whistle?

I'm a fan of real thigh pockets, not shorts or clip on stuff. Second to that, I suppose shorts are the next best option given their versatility, followed by a harness pocket.

Halcyon makes a really nice/ roomy harness pocket, but its pricey. X-shorts are something that I would just forget to throw in my gear bag, hence I had two pockets sewn on my 5mil.

Get em sewn on by a cobbler and you can just cut em off the suit down the road

The sizing on the X-shorts isn't that critical. I use size large for everything -- wetsuit, drysuit with light undergarments, dry suit with heavy undergarments. If they're just a bit loose, it's no issue. And they stretch well. I think they're a very workable solution, if you don't want to put permanent pockets on.

You DO have to remember them . . . (she says, remember David Rhea's face when she forgot to put hers back on before getting in the water).

Although it may not 'seem' like adding another layer is not a big thing with regards to X shorts, I agree with the folks that recommend real live glued on Halcyon (or equivalently large) pockets.

if you are not 'big' to begin with, adding that extra layer of stuff all the way around your body increases drag. Be it undergarments, add on stuff, etc.. and yes, one more thing to forget..

if you can find the most streamlined gear (suit, undergarment, pocket combo, etc... yes, i know the OP is talking about tropics) you will end up finding that moving around is easier. Not just underwater, but on the surface. Too much material between your legs and in front of your chest just gets binding no matter how you slice it.

i like the shorts/pockets combo for short duration dives in warm situations where i'm in the water with a bikini or rash guard and need a place to put stuff. If the water is the slightest bit cool or the dive longer duration, i'll just wear my drysuit :)

I just buy pockets to put on every suit. I've never given any thought to the "waste" involved in having so many sets of pockets, and its the least of my costs...

I just buy pockets to put on every suit. I've never given any thought to the "waste" involved in having so many sets of pockets, and its the least of my costs...

Do it right and be done with it I say. Just mailed 2 Halcyon pockets to Wetwear (FL) today in order to sew onto new wetsuit in the works. They do a nice job of sewing on a sublayer first to reduce strain on the suit. If do you not leave on a public dock :)shakehead:) the Rubatex custom suits are suppose to last a long time...

I want to vote for X-Shorts. I have 2 different wetsuits and a drysuit, the X-Shorts fit over them all and they still seem fairly streamlined to me. I'm a little guy so any real increase in drag would be felt. If you're worried about them, just use my technique: leave them in the gear bag and just leave your bag outside and open to dry.

Peace,
Greg

My X-shorts conform perfectly to my suit and legs; I can't imagine that they are increasing drag in any way, beyond what comes from the pockets themselves.

I agree that permanent pockets are the best solution. But if there is some reason why you don't want to do that, X-shorts work very well.

X shorts work well, very convenient if you need to switch suits too. That said, they look really gay :pinkdolphin: ...they do, I swear. Complete breakage of rule 6.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom