Votes: 5 13.9%
  • 3-6 months

Votes: 12 33.3%
  • +6 months

Votes: 14 38.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mars2u

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Well, I'm seriously considering taking my DM training. I have the opportunity to take the Rescue course in two weeks and was wondering how long it took to get Divemaster Certified for you folks?

P.S. Any insights/experiences for good/bad things that happened during your DM training would be appreciated

I did Rescue and DM. OW in May 1989. My instructor required 14 dives for just getting from OW to AOW (just checked my log book). Rescue and DM were grueling. He teaches way beyond the PADI minimums. Still looking through archived boxes to find some log pages, too many moves in the past few years.

Mine too a long time because I worked at a dive shop part time. Yeah, I got all my classes for free, but I could only take the classes when I wasn't scheduled to work. Here's the best example of how long and how short it can take:
I started my internship for DM and had the tests and skill circut out of the way. I helped with 1 OW class. Before I could finish my internship, one of the people that was in that 1st OW class had done AOW, Rescue, MFR, AND DM! On paper, you could have your internship done in less than 3 months-give or take on what the instructor requires.

mars2u once bubbled...
Well, I'm seriously considering taking my DM training. I have the opportunity to take the Rescue course in two weeks and was wondering how long it took to get Divemaster Certified for you folks?

P.S. Any insights/experiences for good/bad things that happened during your DM training would be appreciated

I helped with classes for about two years and then when I turned 18 it took me about 6 months to get my DM certification. Our shop only trains Divemasters that we are going to use or bring up to instructor so there is a long period of apprenticeship. I strongly suggest an apprenticeship if you are going to become an instructor because it makes the ITC an absolute breeze.

Before you take the DM class how many dives do you have, how long have you been certified etc?

ZoCrowes255 once bubbled...

Before you take the DM class how many dives do you have, how long have you been certified etc?

Actually I am going to do an apprenticeship through my Dive shop. I'm planning on diving Bonaire in about 5 weeks so I'll have 70+ dives by then. I've been certified for about a year. I've had scuba friends that I've dived with in Palau recommend I become at least a DM because they thought I'd be great at it.
I also have trained literally hundreds of people in the field I work in so I'm thinking of later on being an instructor. It takes alot of patience and understanding teaching people and my hats off to those who do it...especially in a scuba environment since it brings long with it great responsibility.
It'll take me about a year to finish the DM training if it works out the way I plan. I was just curious how others did. I know that there are some places online that can train you in a few weeks, but I like my LDS...great bunch of folks and I feel very comfortable with them.
For example...just bought a night stick today and they recommended the $16 stick instead of the cheap $8 or the $50. I trust them with my scuba needs and recommendations and they won't "hurry me along"

Thanks for the responses so far.

My Instructor Sucked.... he used to read straight from the manual because he was incapable of forming an independent thought or applying his 3000+ dives worth of knowledge / experience to the DM process, so I pushed him and got him to let me test out.... Did it all, effectively training myself aong the way. Got the cert, and made a point of reaming the Inst. when I got the survey from PADI, and followed up with a letter. But I knew that shop was not for me.

Then, I found a great shop, an Inst I liked, and I re-did everything with an Inst who knew what he was doing (just for my own edification), and I got what I expected out of the course.

Long story short, I DM for that Inst. any time he needs me to this day. Guys like that are the reason people dive, and I try my ass off to follow his example to our students.

~W

Sounds like you're on the right path to me. I am not a very big fan of the "become an instructor/DM in six weeks garunteed" type courses. I know that I learned more from watching a good instructor in the pool on a regular everyday openwater class than I could have had in an actual Divemaster class working with other Divemaster/Instructor candidates.

Hope you have a good time and stick with it

Chris Scott
NAUI 40820

mars2u once bubbled...

Actually I am going to do an apprenticeship through my Dive shop. I'm planning on diving Bonaire in about 5 weeks so I'll have 70+ dives by then. I've been certified for about a year. I've had scuba friends that I've dived with in Palau recommend I become at least a DM because they thought I'd be great at it.
I also have trained literally hundreds of people in the field I work in so I'm thinking of later on being an instructor. It takes alot of patience and understanding teaching people and my hats off to those who do it...especially in a scuba environment since it brings long with it great responsibility.
It'll take me about a year to finish the DM training if it works out the way I plan. I was just curious how others did. I know that there are some places online that can train you in a few weeks, but I like my LDS...great bunch of folks and I feel very comfortable with them.
For example...just bought a night stick today and they recommended the $16 stick instead of the cheap $8 or the $50. I trust them with my scuba needs and recommendations and they won't "hurry me along"

Thanks for the responses so far.

ZoCrowes255 once bubbled...
I am not a very big fan of the "become an instructor/DM in six weeks garunteed" type courses.

Those are like some late night infomercials:

"You too, can learn to drive the big rigs, in the privacy of your own home".

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

I am not a fan of those 0 to Instructor in 10 weeks programs.

In my mind it takes a lot more diving to get the right kind of experience.

I think 100 dives to become Instructor should be the bare minimum too.

You didn't clarify... are you asking how long it took to get DM from the prior cert? Or from nothing to DM?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom