Heron Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rkoifman

Registered
Reaction score
Any info on Heron Island - resort, scuba, getting there? Plan to be there 4-5 days next March. Should I just dive there or split it between 2 islands?

The resort is exclusive (Heron Island Resort) and is run by P&O. Search Google and you can link right to them! It's not a cheap place to stay at all BUT you get what you pay for.

The staff make you feel right at home and everything is of a uniformly high standard. No slip-shod island-type survival here and no roughing it out...you get pampered :)

The city Gladstone in QUeensland is the jumping off point for the island and either the catamaran or helicopter transport are all arranged and run by P&O also. It's an ALL-IN package type excursion.

Due to cost I didn't stay more than 2 nights there and only did diving on one of those days! There's so much to do on the island i.e. turtle watching, exploring the island's amazing reef system, the indigenous bird species that you're gonna need quite some time there in order to properly explore all the dive sites!

Diving is not the resort's core business and whilst the dive setup is okay...well you can clearly see differences btw this and some really serious dive-op. Forget about Nitrox etc etc. I don't remember seeing these being offered....it's basic recreational diving at its simplest. Dun expect too much of a guided tour either the diving is in pretty large groups and you gotta know how to find your own interesting marine life :D A chat with the staff BEFORE the staff whilst on land definitely helps to identify some things to look out for.

If you're into turtles this is definitely the place though...huge greenbacks frolic majestically in the seas seemingly unconcerned with pesky bubble-blowers gawking at them :)

ALL IN ALL.....I say dun just dive on Heron Island...it's a very romantic piece of "dirt" as well.. Bring a special someone and there's LOTS to do :)

PM me if you would like to talk more on this :)
Cheers!

Being a well seasoned traveller, I would recommend Heron Island. I am only just starting off scuba diving so really couldnt comment on the diving. We managed to get enough money together to stay for 4 nights. We stayed in the cheapest accommodation which are the 'turtle cabins'. It;s basic but even so very good accommodation. It's basically a cabin with beds, good storage space and a wash basin. You have shared shower and toilet facilities. These again are basic but clean and functional. There are lots of activities apart from diving. Snorkeling off the beach or from a boat, the semi-sub, fishing, reef walks, quiz nites in the bar, I'd thoroughly recommend the stargazer walk! Amazing stars! You can also find yourself on the beach at 12am and bump into one of the researchers from the Queensland University research station and they are very interesting people! We were lucky enough to visit in November, when the reef spawns on the full moon and the turtles were up laying their eggs at the top of the beach, its amazing how far up they go! I agree with the other comments that it is truly romantic so take your signifiacnt other with you (if you have one!) It's very intimate, you are looked after very well. PS If there is a huge Ozy/russian guy called GUS (works on the boats) say hello for me!

I stayed on Heron Island in '02. I enjoyed the resort a lot.
The diving was okay but not nearly as good as the the Coral Sea area. I did a CoralSea live aboard, followed by a week at Heron Island.
If you can, try to get to dive the Coral Sea.You will see there is a big difference.
have a wonderful time.
mimi

ltlmi once bubbled...
I stayed on Heron Island in '02. I enjoyed the resort a lot.
The diving was okay but not nearly as good as the the Coral Sea area. I did a CoralSea live aboard, followed by a week at Heron Island.
If you can, try to get to dive the Coral Sea.You will see there is a big difference.
have a wonderful time.
mimi

A hugh difference, the Coral Sea is great, the Great Barrier Reef is good. If you want to do an Island, how about Lizard Island. Lizard is very expensive, but the diving off that island is worth the trip. Also the Cod Hole site is close, the coral by Lizard is in the most excellent shape.

Australia was awesome, we were there in June and July.
Caymaniac :boom:

Thank you for your responses. We only have a few days so live-aboard may be tough. Plus I am not too good on high seas.

We are going to be there in late March and my understanding is that it is still arainy season which is more pronounced in the North; therefore Heron Island. Am I off target?

Back
Top Bottom