Cave Diving in Ohio, Indiana, Kentucky

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Their are tons of caves in Kentucky. They aren't clear warm FLorida type caves though. There are also some in In

I know one in OH that a freind is working on getting permission to dive. I'm sure ther's more.

Are many of these caves accessible? I'd be interested to know whereabouts the good ones are located (or most accessible). I travel to KY once a month, and when I get that cave training.......

Have you ever dived at Bluesprins cavern, IN? If not, do you know any recommendations in KY and IN?

MikeFerrara:
Their are tons of caves in Kentucky. They aren't clear warm FLorida type caves though. There are also some in In

I know one in OH that a freind is working on getting permission to dive. I'm sure ther's more.

hoosier:
Have you ever dived at Bluesprins cavern, IN? If not, do you know any recommendations in KY and IN?

I've never dived it but I know a bunch of divers who have (including one of the owners). They are still in the process of surveying it (last I heard). Sam (the owner) is the guy who made my sidemount harness BTW.

Kentucky is absolutely loaded with caves and many have underwater sections. As I said before this isn't like cave diving in Florida or mexico and none that I know of are commercial dive sites. You have to find them and secure access yourself as most are on private property.

If you're really interested in this kind of diving I'd suggest getting in touch with some of the dry cavers working in the area. They're always looking for some nut who can traverse a sump that has stopped their exploration. This is cold, low vis diving. Well...you can see ok, you just see with your hands instead of your eyes LOL.

Side mount is probably what you'll need and in many cases you'll need to traverse a bunch of dry cave to get to the sumps. In other cases you can see where a creek disappears right into the bottom of a cliff face. then you can enjoy the funny looks and coments as locals watch you don scuba gear and crawl into the rock in 2 feet of water. When I say dry, realize that dry, in this context just means that you don't need scuba. Not very much dry anything in there.

Thanks for your info.

As you may check out the linked website, the cave has already been commercialized. So, I am not sure if he is taking any cavern/cave divers to his cavern at this moment. I am not qualified to dive in the dark environment yet. But, I am trying to collect some information whether or not there are some accessible sites to enjoy the cave diving instead of going to FL.

==============================================================
Sam Frushour and Chris Parks recently laid a bunch of new guideline on a cave dive in BluespringCave.? They are up to about 1800 feet replaced and hope to soon reach the 2500 foot mark.? He went in three caves today, including CorncobCave near the Monroe County airport.? He and others have found about 20 previously-undocumented caves since the start of the IGS effort to provide an I-69 consultant with locations that may be suitable for the federally-endangered Indiana bat.? They have about 130 cave locations to try and find in order to examine. October 14, 2004 BIG Meeting Minutes
===============================================================

MikeFerrara:
I've never dived it but I know a bunch of divers who have (including one of the owners). They are still in the process of surveying it (last I heard). Sam (the owner) is the guy who made my sidemount harness BTW.

Kentucky is absolutely loaded with caves and many have underwater sections. As I said before this isn't like cave diving in Florida or mexico and none that I know of are commercial dive sites. You have to find them and secure access yourself as most are on private property.

If you're really interested in this kind of diving I'd suggest getting in touch with some of the dry cavers working in the area. They're always looking for some nut who can traverse a sump that has stopped their exploration. This is cold, low vis diving. Well...you can see ok, you just see with your hands instead of your eyes LOL.

Side mount is probably what you'll need and in many cases you'll need to traverse a bunch of dry cave to get to the sumps. In other cases you can see where a creek disappears right into the bottom of a cliff face. then you can enjoy the funny looks and coments as locals watch you don scuba gear and crawl into the rock in 2 feet of water. When I say dry, realize that dry, in this context just means that you don't need scuba. Not very much dry anything in there.

hoosier:
Thanks for your info.

As you may check out the linked website, the cave has already been commercialized. So, I am not sure if he is taking any cavern/cave divers to his cavern at this moment. I am not qualified to dive in the dark environment yet. But, I am trying to collect some information whether or not there are some accessible sites to enjoy the cave diving instead of going to FL.

==============================================================
Sam Frushour and Chris Parks recently laid a bunch of new guideline on a cave dive in BluespringCave.? They are up to about 1800 feet replaced and hope to soon reach the 2500 foot mark.? He went in three caves today, including CorncobCave near the Monroe County airport.? He and others have found about 20 previously-undocumented caves since the start of the IGS effort to provide an I-69 consultant with locations that may be suitable for the federally-endangered Indiana bat.? They have about 130 cave locations to try and find in order to examine. October 14, 2004 BIG Meeting Minutes
===============================================================

Sam is the guy who made my harness. I don't think I know Chris Parks. I wouldn't expect that sam would be letting people dive the cave for recreational purposes. If a qualified person offered their assistance in the exploration efforts, the offer may or may not be accepted. You generally don't dive a cave like that just for recreation. You might have to see a cave like that to kinow what I mean.

If you are interested in caves like that and haven't yet gone through cave training I'd recommend some one like Steve Keene who dives that kind of chit all the time. He, BTW is one of Sams cohorts and former instructor. I don't know if Sam did his cave training with Steve but he did some of his tech training with him. I don't want this to sound wrong but getting to know Steve would be one way of getting to know Sam...ie a recommendation from Steve would likely go a long way. Me? I could probably get into all those places...I just don't want to. LOL and yep I'm chicken! Been there, done that, it's more work than fun and a good way to get killed! Though Steve and them are quit handy at it and are still alive.

jumper:
Where are the caves in Ohio, Indiana, Kentucky ?

There are some nice caves with easy access over in MO. Are you familar with those?? Might be a bit farther away than you are looking for.

im a florida cave dive moving to kentucky looking to hook up with some locals and learn the cave diving seen in the area if theres anone out there contact me at mirrocraft@aol.com or if you have any good locations you can send me links or anything thank you ]

if anyone knows of caves to dive in kentucky indiana or ohio it would be cool to know about which ones we can dive.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom