underwater photographing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yao

Registered
Reaction score
hi all,

I'm a new open water diver with only 15 dives on my log book. I'm always interested in photographing and I'm thinking of maybe trying it out underwater as well.

My question is whether is it ok for me to 'play' around with underwater photographing even though I''m not an AOW or even attended any underwater photographing course?

I would like to get a 'feel' and experience of taking pictures underwater. The pictured might not turn out fanstastic but at the moment it doesn't really matter.

Any advise???

Thanks.

Jason

By all means, if you're willing to accept that they "might not turn out fantastic" go for it.

Be aware of 3 things:
  1. The key to good underwater photgraphy (as well as many other scuba activities) is buoyancy control. You'll want to be able to hover well while holding a camera in your hand(s) to get the shot you want. Holding on to something on the bottom isn't cool.
  2. In an underwater photography class you'll learn equipment care and useful techniques (like how to reduce backscatter), so at some point you'll probably either want to do research and reading on your own or take a class.
  3. Not to discourage you, but the equipment can be on the expensive side (but you didn't get into scuba because you don't like to spend money, did you?).:)
    [/list=1]

an AOW isn't "required" to shoot pix. but y'll find it much easier and more rewarding if you work on your bouyency first. get your skills polished, your trim right and it's a lot more fun - the pix improve considerably too

Thanks for the enlightment.

Yeah, I notice the full equipment is kinda costly but after seeing other ppl's hard work and result, I kinda like to give it a try.

And yes, I'm planning to take my AOW as well as course in photographing. But I kinda figure out that if I start taking some photos now, I' might ended up making lots and lots of mistake. To me, it's a good thing as I felt that learning from mistake will actually improve my understanding of underwater photographing.

Unlike golfing, if you start of with a bad swing and without proper guidance, you'll tend to stuck to the old swing.

Hmm...if I choose to take photography as one of my ellective and I don't own a underwater camera, will there be a problem or I actually need a camera before taking that subject? *curious*

The reason I've not gotten my AOW at the moment is because I felt that I need more dive experience and would like to build up my confident level first. That includes getting better bouyancy control and my trim right.

I concur with the others and with you, get more experience first. You may be different but as a general rule (I'm using You loosly and not personally) :) ...

With 15 dives you aren't yet relaxed enough to be aware of your surroundings. You're still dealing with bouyancy issues, learning to fin properly and the routine of watching your gauges.

When you add a cemera, that's another complete set of task loads to add on top of safe diving practices...and they don't always go together. First time photographers tend to get so carried away with taking pictures that they forget to watch their gauges for depth and air consumption. I was lucky enough to live through that stage!

I can speak from experience because I did my first dive after certification with a camera in my hand and I had no business with it! I was lucky to have a buddy who was willing to watch out for me when my stupidity kicked in. 180ft on my 4th dive while chasing a fish in Cozumel was my stupid stunt. I had absolutely no idea how deep I was or even where I was. My buddy was no more experienced than I was so the DM retrieved me. I'd hate to see anyone repeat that scenario.

So please make sure you have excellent bouyancy control without having to think about it, have good basic dive skills, no danglies and the thought in mind that no picture is worth your life before you take a camera down with you.

yao once bubbled...
Hmm...if I choose to take photography as one of my ellective and I don't own a underwater camera, will there be a problem or I actually need a camera before taking that subject? *curious*
Depending on the shop and the instructor, you may be able to rent the camera (and strobe(s)). Ask around first.

I think that it all depends on your buoyancy. I have 17 dives under my belt, and I have been diving with a camera for about 6 of them. Now these dives are quarry dives and most dives are 60 ft or less. It is a lot more difficult to control buoyancy while taking photos. Another thing is you better know how to operate the camera like a pro before you take it underwater. Try adjusting flash compensation (3 buttons) with 5 mil gloves. :) It comes down to the individual's skill leval. Also you really need to know when conditions are just not good enough to use a camera.

I am going to Cozumel in December and really want to get comfortable with my camera underwater before I even attempt taking it on a trip. I also will probably get AOW in the next month.

Back
Top Bottom