Diving with a six-gill ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MXGratefulDiver

Mental toss flycoon
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
My friends Bob, Valerie, and I went out for a dive the other day at Redondo. We wanted to explore the navigation course and find the VW ... which we did ... eventually.

Shortly after dropping down, at about 45 fsw, we came upon a pile of what looks like some kind of aluminum cones, which were just chock full of little fish, gunnels, crabs, and all the other usual suspects. About a minute into this, Bob suddenly flashes his light in my direction and takes off like the proverbial bat out of hell. Now, I've done close to 100 dives with Bob and never known him to swim away from a dive buddy before. I figured, either somebody's in big trouble or ... nah ... it's the middle of the day and we're in less than 50 feet of water. Nonetheless, Valerie and I took off in hot pursuit. About 30 seconds later we caught up to Bob, and right there just a few feet in front of him was a large undulating tail ... attached to a really big fish.

At that point Valerie and I both discovered a higher gear ... she passed Bob on the right and I passed Bob on the left. I recall seeing Valerie's strobe flash as she passed the tail ... and again just a few seconds later. We quickly came up alongside the shark's head ... each of us on opposite sides of the shark just out of touching distance. It was a female, and judging it's size compared to Valerie I'd guess about 10 feet long.

We swam with it for roughly 1-1/2 to 2 minutes ... the shark turning it's head slightly from side to side to get a better look at these annoying humans. At one point I swam above the shark ... hovering at a distance of perhaps four feet above it. I was looking for markings, because the aquarium's been tagging sharks in the area lately to keep track of their movements. But didn't see any. This shark had no distinguishing features that I could tell. Just a beautiful silvery color and pitch black eyes ... it was as perfect as creation could make it.

After a couple of minutes, she decided she'd had enough of all this attention ... and with one powerful flick of the tail she disappeared ahead of us. At that point we commenced to hollering into our regs, pounding each other with high-fives, and generally acting like three very juvenile amphibians ... then we collected ourselves, swam back to our starting point, and proceeded to follow our dive plan.

We ended up finding the course, the VW, and all the other stuff we had talked about finding ... then we headed back to shore. Along the way we encountered a mysterious "wall" of brown water ... within a few seconds vis dropped from 15 feet to about 3 feet. So we decided to head up to do our safety stop ... and surfaced right in front of Salty's.

This was Valerie's first six-gill sighting ... and was she excited? Well, back at the car she proceeded to recount the entire encounter in a single sentence of epic proportions ... in fast-forward ... and on a single breath! Yep, she had a really good dive ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Well I've yet to see my first, Bob... but there's hope!

Shane and I were at Seacrest the same day (late afternoon) that I think you saw your first six-gill. I figured it was probably too early in the day to see one but we went down to the I-beams and swam slowly back and forth between them and Olive's old den looking for a six-gill. We spent about 30 minutes doing that and then another 30 minutes working our way back up.

Nada... then you go in and see one. ;-0

I have been in the area of some six gills, I think I was looking the wrong direction. Excellent report! Thanks!

(Wish I was there) :D

quite exciting I'm sure. Hope to see one myself someday.

I have yet to see a six gill, i want some pictures so bad. I allways just end up in the middle of rat fish yikes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom