Recent Feedback on Cocoview (2003 vs 2006)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

austindivers

Reaction score
We are scheduled to go to CoCoView again in late September and are concerned about all of the reports of "stomach problems" that have continued to come over the internet the past few months.

We have probably read everything that has been posted up to August but would really like some feedback from anyone that has been there recently or just returned as to whether the problem has been corrected.

Were there any signs of what is causing the problem?

Any common foods eaten by the folks getting sick?

We plan on taking Pepto Bismol, lomotil, etc. but would really appreciate any advice on how to avoid the problem.

Thanks!

I don't want to alarm you, but I was there in July with a group of 12 and and 10 of us were sick at least one day, most of us missed dives because of it. At least half the group had been there before, some where on the 5th or 6th trip there. Even the repeats hated the food, said it was worse than usual. I can't tell you what did it, but the food didn't even taste good. Private message me if you want more info so it isn't so public.

This source was at CCV the second week in Aug and forwarded following to Undercurrent's hotline http://www.undercurrent.org/ :

"Well, we just came back from Cocoview. We'd heard rumors about folks getting sick, turns out they weren't rumors after all. 20 out of the 22 people in our group got diarrhea, and about half spent a day or more in the room, afraid to venture more than a few feet from the toilet. A few were up all night, vomiting in between bouts with the scoots. We talked to the other groups, they suffered similar ratios. The management sez they don't know what the problem is, gee we're sorry, etc. They offered to take stool samples to the "Health Department" to try to figure out what was happening. Funny thing, though, one guy who never submitted a sample still got test results back. The paper was dated in June. Hmmm. I acually didn't miss any diving due to intestinal distress, and the diving was great. The boat crew was great. But still, I don't think I'll be going back anytime soon........ "

If you haven't already done so, you might find a read of this from a search of our board archives to be informative. IT's a piece on the topic that I wrote for the Mar '02 issue of "Undercurrent":

"Diarrhea and Divers: How to avoid hourly toilet breaks

Stomach problems can wreck dive vacations, as many of our readers can attest. For example, Tina Peterson and her husband (Omaha, NE) visited Coco View on Roatan last September. She wrote, “The worst part about our vacation was that we got diarrhea . We were not the only ones. Literally half of the guests were sick part or all of the week. We did not drink the water (although we were told it was safe). I assume it was the water the kitchen was cooking with that made us ill. It really sucked being sick on vacation. My husband missed two days of diving, and I missed one day. A few people on the resort only got in a few dives the entire week. The resort has a limited selection of medications, and all of the stomach meds were gone two days after we arrived.”

Hal Koch, MD, reported at an Underwater Hyperbaric Medicine conference, “Much of the world has mostly contaminated drinking water. The World Health Organization started a program of providing clean and safe drinking water for developing countries at a cost of one billion U.S. dollars. The program was a total failure due to civil strife, wars, and refugee movements. In essence, you cannot go outside North America or Western Europe and expect to have safe drinking water. ” With that in mind, we asked Doc Vikingo to describe what you can do to avoid hourly toilet duty on your next dive vacation.

Whether you call it La Turista , Delhi Belly, Tiki Trots, or Montezuma's Revenge, it’s usually not life-threatening. But it’s always unpleasant and inconvenient—especially if you get hit while underwater. Typical signs and symptoms include the rapid development of diarrhea, nausea, bloating, cramping, and weakness. Despite all its sobriquets, traveler’s diarrhea (TD) is largely the result of just a few microbial culprits. More than 80 percent of the cases result from ingesting liquids and foods contaminated by either human or animal fecal matter. TD is usually caused by bacteria, but it can also be brought on by parasites and viruses. Although not related to infection, diarrhea can also result from greasy, fatty, and spicy foods, items you are not used to, or just excessive vacation consumption.

The chances of contracting TD at a dive venue depend mostly on the degree of development of the location. For example, the odds of contracting TD increase as you travel from the U.S. to the Caribbean, or Latin America to Southeast Asia.

The CDC’s “Traveler’s Health” Web site (http:// www.cdc.gov/travel/ is a good source for assessing the risk of various locations.

What’s a Body to Do?

You can avoid most gastrointestinal illness by being cautious about food and drink and by frequently washing your hands. While most travelers focus on ensuring the fluids they drink are pure, food-borne pathogens are the number one cause of infection. Eat only fruits and vegetables that have been thoroughly cooked, or at least peeled and cleaned. Shy away from leafy greens that are difficult to wash thoroughly. Stick with recently and well-cooked items served very hot. Avoid raw foods such as seviche and shellfish, and undercooked meat or fish. Pass on the street vendors and eateries that appear unhygienic.

Major resorts and restaurants in higher risk areas often use purified tap water or serve bottled water. Live-aboards with properly maintained desalinization systems produce potable water. If in doubt, ask. And don’t forget to ask about the ice in your drinks. Bottled beverages like soda are generally safe, but avoid products like milk and beer if they are not pasteurized, and fresh fruit juices sold at roadside stands. I have heard divers say that adding lime or spirits to what one drinks offers protection. Poppycock. They may make drinks tastier & more fun, but that ’s about it.

When Basic Preventive Measures Don’t Work

Given a compelling need to take a preventive medication, Pepto-Bismol is often the product of choice. It helps about 65 percent of the time when taken four times daily, beginning several days before traveling. However, it shouldn’t be used for more than three weeks and people with aspirin sensitivity, kidney disease, or those taking blood thinners should avoid it.

Antibiotics such as Cipro, Bactrim, or Septra have a 70-95 percent efficacy taken once a day. They should only be considered for high-risk, short-term travelers whom severe diarrhea may seriously harm (e.g., persons with chronic kidney failure or insulin dependent diabetes). If the cause of your diarrhea is something other than the bacteria targeted by the antibiotic or a resistant bacterial strain, the drugs will simply make things worse.

Treatment

Most often the illness will be self-limiting and can be treated with Pepto-Bismol. However, if you have a bloody stool, high fever, severe abdominal pain, or persistent vomiting seek immediate medical help. If the condition doesn’t abate after a couple of days, or resolves and then returns, see a doctor. The over-the-counter antidiarrheal Imodium controls diarrhea, although it should be used judiciously as it can prolong the illness while controlling some symptoms. It is best used as an adjunct to antibiotics. Lomotil requires a prescription and often is not recommended for bacterial diarrhea due to possible adverse effects on the large intestine. Before traveling, discuss the issue with your physician and get appropriate prescriptions. Antibiotics may be prescribed with the same precautions noted in the prevention section above.

Although antibiotics are often available over the counter in foreign countries, this should not encourage self-treatment. Besides the risk that you may choose the wrong drug for the bug you have, these drugs can cause severe or fatal allergic reactions. Some, also, cause sensitivity to the sun, which can occasionally be extreme.

Additional Steps

Fluid loss from diarrhea can increase a diver’s susceptibility to DCS. In addition, Lomotil and Imodium can be drying, and many antibiotics are best accompanied by liberal amounts of water. If you get ill, drink copious amounts of water, sports drinks, or clear, salty broth. Avoid caffeinated beverages, dairy products, and prune, apple, and orange juices. Signs of worrisome dehydration include extreme thirst, dry mouth, passing reduced amounts or dark yellow urine, dizziness, cramping in the extremities, and warm, dry skin.

If you develop any of these, seek prompt medical attention. Start yourself on an oral rehydration solution such as Rehydralyte or Pedialyte. Or, produce your own by mixing one teaspoon of salt and eight teaspoons of sugar in a quart of purified water, making a fresh solution every 24 hours.

An episode of TD forces a day in bed in about 20 percent of the cases. It should go without saying that if you don’t feel well enough to dive safely and comfortably-- don’t. ----Doc Vikingo"

Hope that you found this helpful.

DocVikingo

Doc - Thanks for the advice. We have bought water purifying tablets as a just in case. What do you think? We will carry Pepto, and we are both going for physicals prior to the trip, so I will probably see what the doctor will give me as a precaution.

My wife is pretty tough, but I have a weak stomach and will need all the help I can get.

Thanks again.

I think that drinking only purified or bottled water (ice, too) is a wise idea.

I think that if you follow the advice in my article you will have done everything humanly possible to protect yourself.

Best of luck.

DocVikingo

I was ill the last week I spent at CCV in August 2003. I would like to go back, but the food was the cause of my stomach aches (and my wifes) on that trip. Has anyone had a recent experience?

was supposed to be the cheese used in the meals that made everyone sick..island wide problem.

A friend of mine got back from CocoView about three weeks ago. She was not ill.

My wife and I went in Oct. We didn't get sick but there was a few there that did. I can't really say why because every time we go to cozumel I get sick but never at CoCo view. Make sure you don't was your mouth out with tap water, only use the bottle water for your tooth brushes. I believe that was the problem with the guys next door to us. We are returning to CoCo view in May.

DeputyDan (of SB) and myself along with about 25 others stayed at Cocoview in Oct. Only one of our group got sick (another SBer). We ate together every day. No telling if he got something from the food or just bad luck on his part but with 25 to 1 odds, I would think his illness was not food related. I avoided drinking out of the tap but used lots of ice and ate salad most days. I can't say the food was great but taste and illness are 2 different things.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom