Liochiu Island, South of Taiwan - Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wantonmien

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi All,

Not one of the often mentioned dive locations in Taiwan, but last weekend 14/15 August I made a trip over to "Liochiu Island" - it being a small island down South of Taiwan, accessible by ferry from port nearby Kaohsiung. Island itself seems to have dozens heading over for snorkelling off the beaches, with those visitors being the main source of income for the island, ie: with numerous small hotels and restaurants, plenty of temples, scenic spots and a solitary dive shop on the island. That dive shop seeming to be pretty much a family run affair with no English speakers, idyllic location looking straight onto the beach and clean blue water - and a compressor which looked in need of an overhaul !

Made all dives off a boat, plenty of Green turtles swimming around, plenty of good corals, plenty of good macro life - but I had a distinct feeling there were a lack of fish around ! Made 4 dives, 4 dive sites, max depth around 30 m, Viz varying between the two days but up to about 25 m on one dive down to about 10 m on another, water temperatures 29 ~ 31 C - so pretty dammed warm !!

The trip over to and 2 days on the island, a good escape, scenic, cultural and reasonable prices compared with some other 'tourist' locations in Taiwan, and on the whole the only thing that would stop me making regular trips there is the suspicion on the compressor, and EaNx not being available.

Not fantastic quality pics, and not using a strobe - I've just uploaded pics from the Liochiu island trip to -

ScubaBoard Gallery - Liochiu Island, South Taiwan

Cheers

Hey Wantonmien,

I still haven't been to Xiao Liu Chiu yet. I've dived Green Island twice, and Orchid Island twice, but still haven't bothered with Little Liu Chiu.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like the 2 main attractions are that (1) it's easily accessible from Kaohsiung via ferry, and (2) there are a lot of green turtles there. Other than that, it's not as good as Kenting. Would you agree?

Cheers,
m

Plenty of good corals sounds good! & green turtles too... :D But a compressor needing an overhaul doesn't...

Makhno - Yep, Kenting better for sure. Liu Chiu worth a look sometime, but fished out and doesn't compare with 'independent rocks' or other places around Kenting.

Xariatay - Healthy and plentiful Turtles & Corals for sure, and the compressor - well I'm no expert, did survive 4 dives but would be interested to hear others opinions if they head over there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom