Best under $1K scooter?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

davbader

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm in the market for a new scooter under $1k. I don't use it enough to justify a tec priced scooter and only use it for recreational/digging purposes.

What are the differences between the Seadoo Explorer and new Explorer X? I noticed the depth rating has been reduced but what else has changed? Anyone have any experiences with the new Explorer X?

What about the Torpedo models?

The biggest difference aside from the Explorer and the Explorer X is that they had o-ring issues with the older version. The redesigned the flat o-ring to something that is more of a traditional style. There is also a water sensor built into the battery compartment where is it senses moisture it will shut the unit down without jeopardizing the battery or motor.

I have a Torpedo and love it! It is fun scooter, has decent power, and a respectable run time. At Portage Quarry in Ohio I did 75 minute dive around the entire perimeter of the quarry while towing two other divers. We stayed at about 25 feet but there was no drop in power or loss of power. I'd guess that at min we were actually on the trigger for 60 minutes minimum. It is slightly negative in the water but I like that. I;ve seen the seadoos and while they may be decent they appear from a construction view to look more like pool toys compared to the Torpedo.

Thanks Peter. I had a bad experience years ago buying a used Tekna. The shipper completely crushed one side of the unit making it impossible to repair. Luckily, I had insurance and got my money back. The only way I'd buy a used one is if I could pick it up myself. If anyone out there has a used Mako within a hundred miles or so from Charlotte, send me a PM.

I;ve seen the seadoos and while they may be decent they appear from a construction view to look more like pool toys compared to the Torpedo.

i have several scooters. i also usually respect jim's point of view, but im a bit disappointed in the statement above. i was a bit surprised at how a torpedo felt (as opposed to how they "looked") and disagree with stating how a scooter "looks" in general. the torpedo kind of looked cool, but actually "feels" like a toy to me. the materials used seem "chintzy" and not very durable in general. does that mean they are not good? no, but to base my opinion on that alone seems foolish (sorry jim). the seadoo explorer X is a great scooter for the price and design (when purchasing new). and if the battery compartment floods, the scooter simply needs to be brought to the surface, opened up, and allowed to dry. its that simple. smart design (my opinion). another nice design in the seadoo explorer X is the dual trigger (both sides) which allows you to easily use either hand, and the three speeds as well. an on off switch also allows you to transport it with battery inside (if you are only driving to your dive site, as i would never leave a battery in ANY of my machines for extended periods of non-usage...another nice feature of the seadoo is their lack of MAP pricing. not to insult anyone if you already know what this means but a quick explanation is that you can find it for much less $ than the M S R P....

also, if it sounds like i am "one the seadoo bandwagon" i am not. as mentioned in my opening statement, i own several scooters, however, "new and under $1k" does NOT cover the others i own. best wishes and if you are interested in purchasing one, i can point you in the direction of authorized dealers who may beat other prices ... be well, dive safe

I too have a sea doo explorer X and thought it was a nice design. I like the little pump they give you to pop the top... and the verticle charger. Seems very convenient. They also give you a generous supply of o-ring lube and the overall feel is good although plastic.

I took it out on Saturday and it made the bladefish 5000 look like a toy (even though it is also kind of a toy). I took it on two dives and I believe the battery life claims are valid. Ronzo - did you have any issues since you last posted? If this one can be reliable I'll get another for my friend and we can bargain scooter for a while.

I have a overhauled and upgraded Tekna with 30 day warrenty.for 1000.00+ shipping or you can pick it up in fl.

Reconditioned Red Tekna DV3X, With Charger.

Rebuilt motor, New batteries, Catalyst, Reeds, Relay, Upgraded lower bulkhead, HD Clutch, HD Nose plate, 30 day warranty

I bought a used Mako for $900 and have been happy with it for the last 5 years. It's a good scooter. A used Mako would be my recommendation.

The above Tekna sounds good. Check out DPV Repair.

I'm in the market for a new scooter under $1k. I don't use it enough to justify a tec priced scooter and only use it for recreational/digging purposes.

What are the differences between the Seadoo Explorer and new Explorer X? I noticed the depth rating has been reduced but what else has changed? Anyone have any experiences with the new Explorer X?

What about the Torpedo models?

I use GAVINS when I scooter dive....seaDoo and similar are so slow they are the wrong way to go if you need to stay under 1000.... For less than $400 you could use DiveR freedive fins and if you have cyclist level fitness, you could leverage the tremendous efficiency and low exertion speed potential of these fins to be faster than SeaDoo diver's, and probably with sac rates not that far away from the pretend scooters.

I have dove with a number of diver's using seaDoo or tekna scooters, and with just my DiveR fins, I have to slow down from my cruising pace for them to keep up with me :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom