Do you own one of those pricey, fancy HID-light systems?

Do you own/ dive with a HID light system?

• You bet I do! And I'll even blast you in the face to prove it!

Votes: 32 76.2%
  • Bah....who needs one?!? I've got me trusty D-celled torch!

Votes: 10 23.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Inkypoo

Registered
Reaction score
These transform the night into day and are typically termed as the "SUN" :)

As to whether we need such lights for recreational diving...well that's a matter of personal opinion I guess.

Personally I feel they ruin the tranquility of a night dive :eek:

I own one but only because I won it :)

I love it, mostly because I love the white colour of the light. It's really powerful too.

Absolutely. I started with a UK Light Cannon, which I didn't like due to its short burn time and the difficulty stowing it in a streamlined manner.

I've moved to a Dive-Rite Wreck I 10w HID compact head and the high amp battery. Four hours of burn time out of a single battery works for me.

I'm hoping to upgrade to a Dive-Rite 18w focusable light at some point.

That said, while I wear the can lights on night dives, I usually don't use it unless it becomes necessary. Instead, I rely upon my Scouts. They are much less intense, but they don't scare off the marine life.

I own a 10W HID. I wouldn't have it any different. All of our buddy communication is done with lights at night, and I want to be able to see my buddy's signals.

We don't point them into the eyes of marine life.

I own a Nite Rider 10W HID system. Great light ... compact, lightweight, clips right onto the waist strap of my harness. I can get 3 or 4 dives on a single charge (which comes in handy on those trips to Vancouver Island).

Yes, it's pricey ... on the other hand, after three or four hundred dives, you more than make it back in what you aren't spending (and throwing away) in batteries.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I have a 10 watt HID American Underwater Lighting System's cannister lights. It was absolutely a great purchase.

LVX

Recently upgraded, and I love it.

Even on a shallow daytime reef dive. You look into some of the darker crevices & find out they extend 5-20 feet back. Amazing what I have seen back in those cracks & small caves. All those nocturnal fish have to hide somewhere during the daylight.

Inkypoo once bubbled...

As to whether we need such lights for recreational diving...well that's a matter of personal opinion I guess.

That's nice. Your *objectivity* is showing rather clearly.

A - Their primary usage in open water diving isn't for night diving, it's for communication during the day. As with headlights on cars in the fog, the purpose isn't just for you to see, but for your buddy to know where you are and to be able to communicate with you.

B - They work great in caves.

C - They do help you light up hidden areas underneath ledges, etc.

Of course, to you they're a symbol of DIR, to be ridiculed and put down with stupid polls and lame innuendo.

I don't have one now but it's next on my list for purchase. Nice to get an idea of what everyone is using and if they are happy with them. Still now sure which one I will buy but probably the 10W HID.

Inkypoo once bubbled...

You mean the Jedi Light Cannon?

I rib my buddies about that all the time.

I tell them I want to observe undersea life not cook it.

I make cracks about the humming noise, and changing the dylithium crystals.

I think that those things are grossly inconsiderate to undersea species whos eyes certainly can't handle that light, and to fellow divers, who don't want to.

DIR is a minimalist philosophy, leave that hunk of junk in on the boat unless you have a specific need for it.

Back
Top Bottom