Redneck Riviera Beach Diving 8/22

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

paulwall

Contributor
Reaction score
Tides were scheduled around 9am at Ft. Morgan, so we set an 8am meet time at Bahama Bob's.

I left my house at 0445am(!) and drove into the sunrise arriving about 5 minutes after 8 to find Johnathan(mrmccoy) already on site. He reported green water and I noticed a fresh north wind. While we started getting our gear ready, Carl(DocCarl) and Theresa(tessunderwater) showed up.

Mat(SuPrBuGmAn) had to stop for fills, expecting DownUnder to open at 8am.

I walked out to the water with Carl and Theresa, and found foot-high waves crashing on the sandbar. We walked into the 84* water to cool off and put on our fins. Neither Carl nor Theresa had been on the Whiskey Wreck, so I gave them the particulars and we waited for Mat to show up. Johnathan waited by the vehicles.

I normally wait for Mat to find the wrecks, but the recent reports say the Whiskey wreck is very uncovered right now, so I lined up the side of Bahama Bob's with the sign and headed out. I dropped down into 12feet of water, with a slight swell and headed further S.

The wreck appeared in the 6' or so of visibility and I turned East looking for a place to tie off. the surge was stronger near the wreck, but I located a tie-off spot and tied in the dive flag. I surfaced and gave the "Big O" signal to Carl and Tess, and watched Mat struggle to the water in his doubles rig:D

So I submerged by the flag to check the wreck out. More of the Western stern section is uncovered, now. The East end has all silted in. I scared several flounder, electric skates, and southern stingrays lying in the sand. I saw several large female crabs, holding eggs, a couple of stone crabs, a burrfish, lots of small snapper, and even a small american eel. Conspicuously absent were the schools of friendly spadefish and sheepshead. Most of the fish were very skittish, hiding in whatever nooks and crannies they could find. Vis ranged from about 10' on the eastern end of this portion to about 1' on the western end.

Apparently, the separate western portion which leads toward the bow is even more uncovered than ever before. Mat had run a line, that I missed, from one section to the other. I've only ever seen that section once, and am sorry I didn't get over there this time. Vis was apparently 5-10' over there.

We left there, and tried to do the Shrimpboat, but the water was very dirty over there, with the bay discharging all of the rainwater we've had recently, so we bailed back to Bahama Bob's for lunch.

Part 2 (West Beach Paddlewheeler) coming later.

I didn't dive doubles, I dove a single tank, monkey style :D

I also saw a single sheepshead and spadefish during the dive at the Whiskey.

Had a great time diving with you guys yesterday! That was my first dive in low viz and was a great learning experience. I can't wait to go again.:D

Did I read that correctly...Mat dove doubles on the Whiskey???? He would never come back up if that were the case. :D

I surfaced and gave the "Big O" signal to Carl and Tess, and watched Mat struggle to the water in his doubles rig

Did I read that correctly...Mat dove doubles on the Whiskey???? He would never come back up if that were the case. :D

No, I misrepresented. Mat had his Nomad, but only a half-full 72, no regs, no fins and no mask :D. He only lasted an hour on the Whiskey wreck.

Those guys going in as we got out just kept looking at mat like wtf is this guy doing....why isnt his tank on his back!

Yeah but Mat is used to people giving him that look...especially when he is out of the water!:wink:

Those guys going in as we got out just kept looking at mat like wtf is this guy doing....why isnt his tank on his back!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom