Would you dive Vortex now????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wjefferis

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Since Vortex is in the Deep Dixie area I guess I will post this here. I was given a free pass to dive Vortex since when I was gearing up they discovered that a diver was missing. Instead of refunding my money they just gave me a pass. I have thought about it more and now I wish I would have gotten my money refunded. I must admit that the thought of diving in a spring that I now has a dead body in it just seems nasty. I am not sure of the health risks (if any) but it just doesn't seem like a good idea. eitherway until they were able to remove the body I just don't think I could dive Vortex. I only dove Vortex because it was a convienent place to take my stuff and practice in my gear.

So I just wanted to ask some of the Deep Dixie Divers if you would dive Vortex now???????

boy is this going to be a :popcorn: thread.

we were down there and at the WhataBurger in Defuniak when we got a text that there was a diver missing. So instead of getting in the "middle of the circus" at Vortex, we dropped by Morrison and then headed to the gulf for some saltwater dives.

so what if they can't get him out? :popcorn:

Yes..

it would be a little funky diving somewhere knowing there's a body, i'm not denying that, but, really, how many bodies of humans or whales or fish or dogs are in the ocean/rivers/lakes decomposing with us every time we dive anywhere?

as far as health risks, i believe, they're almost none. the flow and amount of water that runs through vortex would wash away or dilute anything harmful. plus, there are bacteria/fish/organisms that metabolize many of the harmful substances carried in human bodies.

i cant say whether or not i would dive there, but i can say when/if i do there will always be that little "voice" in my head reminding me of the situation. that voice is what keeps me from doing things im not trained for no matter how much i want to. but not diving a cave that has claimed a life would, in a way, be like never flying in a plane because one crashed. that being said there is still an eeriness that will linger

Back
Top Bottom