GUE Fundies report...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mikeguerrero

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all need to share, what GUE did for me.

Why GUE: Who are they?

I need to let all understand, that I was a little intimidated by GUE because I didn't know them. I needed to find out more and when they opened to the public, "Try GUE event" I signed up and then found out, oh my these guys are awesome, friendly and very knowledgeable.

I left that first event so encouraged and wanting more; I told Rob if and when he decides to run a Fundies class I would be a loyal candidate. (I would take my class in 50 degree waters in Monterey with a drysuit and a set of steel 100HP doubles)
After signing up for the class, I stayed really quiet and didn't announce I was taking it. I wanted to treat this event as an opportunity to learn better skills and not worry so much on the Pass/fail scenario.

Making my move to GUE fundies was made a lot easier because many local divers as well as so many cyber DIR divers (Lynn) had carved the way and answered a plethora of questions. Don, Ben, lots of credit for the guidance to becoming a better diver in our local community.

Pool: Wallin's Dive Center, Fri-Sun (Calm, warm 80 degrees and solid 50+ viz, oh yeah it's a pool).

Can you talk about friendly instructors and so full of answers and best practices for gear? Oh yeah, I fell in love with how they tweaked my gear; d-rings got moved, crotch strap adjusted firmer, argon bottle lowered. Oh my gear now rested on my body like it was part of me, literally.

I was so happy with just the adjustments they made, I told them class could end right now and I would feel, I got my money's worth; I had been diving with gear that was not 100 percent modeled for my body.

Does it get better? Oh yeah, do you know what it is like to dive in a pool where all your gear feels perfect? I was so amazed and just without words. (My self esteem started to rise) diving was becoming more elegant.

I left on Sunday feeling so enriched with knowledge and a deep appreciation of what Susan and Rob did to my gear.

In fact, Rob convinced me that my stainless steel d-rings in my DUI CLX 450 pockets had to be cut for replacement bungees, ARE YOU SERIOUS!
You are not going anywhere near my gear with those massive bolt cutters! Most know how I am about protecting my gear from any changes; with a cunning smile Rob baptized my suit. Oh my, my pocket contents now fly out when I call for them! (Thanks Rob)

Was I drained and exhausted from the pool session, not at all, just excited and with an eager desire to try my new learned skills in the ocean. With two weeks before the ocean dives, I knew I needed to get in some practice skills, but who could I call during the week?

Lobos: Mid-week practice drills (Carmel water temps 50 degrees, drysuit, steel doubles oh my)!

Let me keep it short here, but I need to give special thanks for Kathydee, she answered my cry for help on the board, when I announced I needed a practice buddy.
Warm, friendly, knowledgeable and I have to say she keeps me in check; I do really well with alpha females, and she is like my sister in how she cares about making me a safer diver.

It was all about me at Lobos; Mike would you like to drop down again and do another controlled ascent, how about an S-drill, okay let’s try that valve drill again.
Mike keep up that chin, Mike learn to clip this way, does that make it better. These were just a few of the many things she did for me. And then she dove with me the following Weds for more practice.

Two mid-week dives with a diver that is passionate about safe diving, it just doesn't get better than that. Cyber hug for you, my sister. :)

Ocean dives: (Monterey, Carmel, 50 degrees again! Oh my, where is my drysuit, how about my double 100HP tanks hey this viz is 10 feet)!

I could write an essay here about all the details, but I will not bore you with what you all already know. Let me be brief and tell you how GUE changed my diving!
Situational awareness is what I really learned in diving GUE, it's about the team and making diving fun but always being safe. They have guidelines and standards with equipment, gases that make me understand why I need to model it.

I walked away with better skills; propulsions kicks refined, basic 5 more clear and smooth, and the ever so elusive valve drills.

It was never about this is a better system than the other agencies, quite the opposite, learn why we dive the way we do. It just makes sense in the long run.

Overall, I learned to appreciate my equipment much more, I learned best practices that will stay with me and make me a safer diver until the day I retire my scuba fins. I simply fell in love all over again with Scuba diving, something that hadn't been felt since my Open Water classes back in 2007.

Susan, Rob thank you so much for bringing clarity to a system that makes so much sense. And for bringing back my love in scuba diving. You guys are truly a unique team that makes me proud to have been your student. Adam and Ken, thank you guys so much for all your support, this became possible because we became a team and succeeded together!

Oh yeah, I forgot to let all know, I GOT A REC PASS!!! (Thanks to all that encouraged me to run this gauntlet, wouldn't be possible without your support).

Mike Guerrero

Thanks for sharing, and congrats on your pass. Hope to see in the water soon!

Hey Mike. I saw you guys swim by us at Pt. Lobos and you were looking good.

Congratulations!

Congratulations!!! I’m so proud of you Mike!!!

It's been quite a treat to watch your diving progress over the past year!!

Let's hop back in the water soon, so you can show off all those newly polished skills!

Thanks for the cyber hug :)!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom