List of top 10 dives to do before you die

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dvleemin

Contributor
Reaction score
HI,
I remember a while ago seeing a list of the top 10 dives in the world you should do before you die. They included dives like the Blue Hole, TOwn Pier, Stingray city, etc.

Anyone know where that list is?

Darryl

Is this the list you're looking for?

http://www.scubatravel.co.uk/topdives.html

My personal list would look something like ...

1. The Brothers, Red Sea
2. Flinder's Reef, Coral Sea
3. Darwin Island, Galapagos
4. North Wall, St. Croix
5. Ngeregong, Palau
6. Similan National Park, Thailand
7. Bunaken National Marine Park, Sulawesi
8. El Bajo, Sea of Cortez
9. Aliwal Shoal, South Africa
10. Browning Wall, Vancouver Island

Realistically, I have a shot at diving maybe half of these in my lifetime ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

My list would include:

A dive with the WKPP team... and I am not a cave diver

The Andria Doria

The Lusitania

Truk Lagoon

A blue Hole Atol in the pacific, don't know the name but saw in a magazine once.

Aside from that, I'm content with the Wrecks out in the NE atlantic.:reaper:

Bob,

I see from your list that Darwin's is one of your "Top 10 Must Do" spots. I went there not too long ago on an all Inspiration Expedition for the Shark Research Institute. It was a real hoot!:D

I would say this, don't go if the presence of sharks bothers you. We were surrounded at times by literally hundreds of really large Scalloped Hammerhead and Galapagos (a type of Bull) sharks. No, I correct myself! They were huge sharks!:wacko:

The water was rough and cold while we wre there. On the other hand, the wildlife, especially the whale sharks, made up for it! We were there to work as well as enjoy, so we dove a lot. (Three times a day at 80-100 fsw for an hour and a half to an hour and forty minutes on average. CCR units do make a difference!) The Galapagos Aggressor and the Lammer Law were out there for a couple of days but they didn't dive much. I guess they didn't like the water conditions!

I'd recommend that you sign up for the SRI working trips. You still have to pay your way, but you are doing good on behalf of one of the most beautiful creatures of the sea, the Whale Shark.:clapping:

Bob, I have worked in 1 and 6, and there are some awesome places very close by to each of them. Brothers, in Egypt, has a string of little islands all the way down, Daedalus, Zabargad and St John's so do that while you do the Brothers
Similans, go North young man!!! Myanmar(Burma) has some awesome shark diving that if you go on a 10 day safari in November or March and dont see Whale Sharks / Manta / Threshers / Oceanic White tips and frogfish!!!! then you have slept too much ...

my top 10 would be

1) The Nicobar Islands (not allowed to dive it)
2) Truk
3) Marshall Islands
4) Sipadan (again)
5) Ningaloo reef
6) A 20 day safari to the Antartic
7) Galapagos
8) Andrea Doria
9) The Britannic
10) Shaab Samadai, Southern Egyptian Red Sea (to be left there with 40 spinner dolphins, for a week)

The Great Barrier reef.
Truk
The blue hole, Belize
Andrea Doria
Ada Hancock
Marshall Islands
Antarctica
Sea of Cortez

That's a good start.

Jodrey, St. Lawrence river (NY)
Blue Hole, Belize
Stingray City, Caymans
Thislegorm, Red Sea
Great Barrier Reef, Australia
Cenotes, Mexico (Again)
Costa Rica
Georgia Straight (in three weeks!!!)
Galapagos
Truk Lagoon, Micronesia

1. Bikini Atoll
2. Yap
3. Antartic
4. PNG (Mike Ball)
5. Palau
6. A dive with the WKPP team
7. Truk Lagoon
8. A blue Hole Atol in the pacific (sounds great)
9. Florida (any cavern will do)
10. Turtle Cavern, Sipadian

This is a quick list, but with more thought the list just grows and grows. I'm planning to do Bikini in 2005 and am getting trqaining and experience so that I'll be ready and able for that series of 12 deep deco dives. Thinking that I might combine a set of dives at Truk Lagoon on the same trip as they are so close.

PNG is there as I dived with Mike Ball at the GBR and the experience was great, they looked after everything and it was good diving.

Florida is like a mecca for diving for me after reading so much about the divers there. Number 10 I hope to do in 3 weekes time, Yap maybe next year and Antartic well that's a big unknown - no real idea how where, when of even if.

One dive at a time.

1. Lusitania
2. Edmund Fitzgerald
3. Estonia
4. Andrea Doria
5. Bikini
6. Truk
7. Empress of Ireland
8. Wakulla
9. Mexican caves (I have only done FL caves)
10. Monitor

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom