Martha's Quarry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oem3105

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I may be diving at Martha's Quarry over the Labor Day weekend with some friends. I haven't been to Martha's since Fred had to re-work the access to the water and move it to the other side of the quarry. Has anyone been to Martha's this season? If so, how was it based on previous trips? (Please understand that I am simply looking for a site report/update. I do not wish for this to turn into a Martha's bashing thread).

Thanks in advance!

I was there a week and a half ago. Before that I did my mapping project for divemaster at the new site at Martha's.

Fred is working on gradually improving the new site, but it takes time. If you recall the old entrance was immediately next to the railroad tracks. The current entrance is right next to the old one, opposite it from the tracks. Fred had created a looping driveway with several picnic tables and pulloffs. The ground is covered with mulch and can get a little messy / muddy after a rain. He has his compressor on site so you can get air fills. There's a port-a-potty, but I've not detected any good place to change other than behind a tree. Fred intends to create some improved tables that are more diver friendly at heights and designs that make it easier to get your gear on.

There is a ramp that leads down to a dry platform and then step onto a platform that is about 4 feet deep. The area immediately below and around that had bottom at 25-28 feet. About 50 feet out from that is a training platform partially supported by barrel floats. Platform is at about 18 feet.

Fred had been know to post here. Maybe he'll add some comments.

Temps in the first 20 feet or so have been like bathwater, then cool to about 40 feet after which it gets brutally, painfully cold for most wetsuit divers. (O.K. I'm a temp wimp)

The new location puts you much closer to the tour bus. (Sorry, I can't remember the distance.) The sunken sailboat and cabin cruiser are about 300 ft from the training platform. The buildings which used to be so close to the old entry are a pretty good swim now.

You likely won't find any spot deeper than 50 feet unless you bring a jackhammer and create one.

The algae is in full bloom so vis is pretty bad. I was floating on the surface watching one of our instructors guide students in CESA's from just below the training platform and I would have had no clue they were down there except for bubbles. Probably did not see any hint of them till they got to the 12 or 15 foot level.

The bluegill have been especially pesky this year. I wear a hood for sunscreen and to keep my ears from being nibbled more than I do for warmth.

I have to say I have looked wistfully over at the old pavilion and parking area as I have made that long swim over to the crusher and shaker houses.

yepper, Fred is here to post. When you looked wistfully at the old pavilion, did you remember how you hot it was over there? even after sun down the heat radiated from the parking area. Two seasons have almost past and no 1 complaint about the heat, even in this record breaking heat this year. It is a long swim to the buildings (about 700 ft.), but there are not 20-40 student there kicking it up. Seems as though divers do hangout longer, being protected from the sun. The previous post a very accurate.

Looking forward to it.... maybe.... :crafty:

15' is 14' more than OHL & 12' more than PP.

Never been, figured it was about time.

Making a few adjustments to the RAM this very evening, now that all others are off to bed.

Fred makes a good point. The new area is heavily treed and even on these hottest days we have had it is much more comfortable, especially with a little breeze. All that sun baked rock and a tin roofed pavilion on the other side was rough.

Digger - THANKS for the report. I know that took some time to put together and I appreciate it.

Fred - THANK you too for confirming it. Unless we get called-out on another incident, I should be there on the 4th with one or two people in tow. Are daily passes still available at Dive Below H2O?

(8dust - I get it now!!!)

Last edited:
yepper, passes are available there as well as scuba adventures in hendersonville, cornerstone scuba , and island hoppers.. will be good to see you on the 4th.

Could not have asked for a nicer day and a better time.

Thanks OEM, and especially Saigonfred!

DSC06984.jpg

DSC06968.jpg

Water temp still at about the 80 degree mark (mixed report from diver exit poll). The vis is really good now, about 30 feet.

Martha's is a very cool dive. The buildings are the best.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom