Thinking of taking a cavern class.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cstreu1026

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have been kind of tossing around the idea of taking a cavern class. I don't want to get fully cave certified but I would like to do a little bit of exploration and see what. I am really wondering what kind of euipment requirements there are for such course.

It may vary slightly by agency, but this will give you a general idea:

Cavern diving is the exploration of an overhead environment while remaining within the portion of the light zone, which is illuminated by sunlight. It differs from cave diving in that, while cave divers may penetrate thousands of feet/meters, cavern divers go no further than a linear distance of 200 feet from the surface. The maximum depth for diving in a cavern is 100 feet.

The course is designed to train the open water diver to dive safely in an overhead environment . This course is an extension of recreational diving designed for the use of a SINGLE TANK, and upon completing the course, a diver will possess the skills, knowledge, dive planning abilities, and problem solving techniques to safely cavern dive within no-decompression limits. Upon completion of this course you are eligible for the Intro-To-Cave Course

EQUIPMENT NEEDED FOR CAVERN DIVING:

Masks & Fins with straps taped
Tank (minimum of 72 cu. ft.)
Single hose regulator with submersible pressure gauge, octopus second stage on 7' hose, and BCD with power inflator.
Exposure Suit (wet or dry)
Submersible repetitive dive tables
Slate with pencil & Weights (as needed)
A minimum of at least two (2) battery powered submersible lights
Knife, Watch, depth gauge & reel.
Mandatory Text: NSS/CDS Cavern Diving Manual
Basic Cave Diving: A Blueprint For Survival by Sheck Exley- strongly recommended

This is a two day course, which includes lectures, and a minimum of four cavern dives at various sites.
Prerequisite: Openwater Certification is required (Advanced Diver training is recommended or equivalent).
Certification by NACD/ IANTD/NSS-CDS.

Well that doesn't sound too bad. I have most everything that is required, though I would probably be better off with a better fin and of course a HID light would sure be nice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom