Fundies Rec/Tech?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aquaregia

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I didn't see a GUE forum or I would have posted it there. Feel free to moderate this to there if I missed one.

I've been talking with a mate about fundies. I'm only interested in shooting for the rec pass at this point because I'd like to do the course sooner than I can afford the gear I'd need for the tech pass. My mate wants a tech pass but is still assembling his tech gear, and isn't too interested in taking it with just rec gear because he doesn't want to have to basically redo the class once he gets his doubles etc.

I thought I'd read somewhere that you didn't need to repeat the entire class and that there was a tech upgrade, but I couldn't see how that would really work. Is that only for if you attempt a tech pass, but only receive a rec pass? Or am I imagining the whole thing?

You can always upgrade a rec pass into a tech pass. Just talk to the instructor about the specifics. The good thing is that in the Monterey area we have resident instructors. There's also quite a few Fundies grads who are willing to do skills dive and offer honest feedback.

Unless you're quite comfortable in the "tech" configuration, I'd *strongly* suggest doing it in a single. There's just no reason to have gear add to what is often a difficult (but rewarding!) course.

Once you have a rec pass, you have an unlimited time to upgrade it to a tech pass. You don't have to redo anything. You basically schedule some time with your instructor (covering his expenses, obviously) and he can run you through any "tech" issues (doubles, can light use, backup light deployment, etc). Ditto for when you want a re-eval (any re-eval).

People leave this excellent class frustrated when they have to fight new gear along with everything else that is new. Take it in what is comfortable. Then work with your instructor to progress from there.

+1 what Ranier said... Go peruse the long list of Fundies reports. There are plenty of divers from Instructors to new OW grads who all echo the sentiment that this is a very challenging class even after they've been diving their rigs for years. The last thing you want to do is to make a last minute change.

Just concentrate on diving... get comfortable with staying still and hovering.... and just dive

Plus having a solid diving "base", which Fundies will help you achieve, will make a later transition to doubles all that much easier. Really, doubles are easy...*once* you already have solid buoyancy, trim, situational awareness, etc.

Best to take it in the gear you've been diving (assuming it's GUE "compatible"), learn all you can, hone skills and gain experience, *then* worry about issues like passing and "tech". It's a really, really fun class, as long as you approach it comfortably and with an open mind and positive attitude.

Awesome guys, that's everything I hoped for. So basically, once you're at the pass stage, adding the additional skills for doubles, can light, etc, is just not a big deal?

I'm hoping I've finally gotten the gear I need for Fundies, although from the sounds of things the first activity is finding out how wrong I am :) I'm still getting used to my BP/W setup for now, but hopefully in a few months...

One of my IRL mates was telling me that Rob was the guy to talk to about Fundies?

Okay cool, I'll shoot both of them email then. I didn't know if Beto was still doing Fundies or if he was just doing Tech 1.

Awesome guys, that's everything I hoped for. So basically, once you're at the pass stage, adding the additional skills for doubles, can light, etc, is just not a big deal?

You can add them gradually. Once you feel confident, you can work with your instructor on a check out dive.

One of my IRL mates was telling me that Rob was the guy to talk to about Fundies?

Recently Rob has been teaching our local Fundies classes - you can contact him here:

ScubaBoard - View Profile: rhlee

I am happy to confirm that for once, everything that everyone on this thread has written is correct! This has to be a first.....:)

Best of luck in your course. A short email to your prospective instructor(s) will satisfy any of your questions pertaining to required equipment for your class.

Best,

Guy Shockey
GUE Instructor

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom