Thinking about a DPV

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BigAirHarper

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm thinking of getting a DPV and before the debate begins about tec vs rec DPV's I'll describe what I'll be using it for. I need something to take me out away from shore to do beach dives here in south florida. I've been researching the Bladefish 5000(I've read the long thread on it). I'm wondering if there is another DPV you would recommend in place of this or if you think this DPV would do the trick for what I will use it for. I've also seen the Tornado DPV and was wondering if anyone had any experiences with it or the Seadoo Explorer X. I'm shooting for the $700-$1000 price range. Thanks for any help.

In that price range a used Mako might fit the bill. Longer burn time, can make a harness to tow yourself, faster, and more reliable. Look to see what Curt at DPV repair has available.

If you already read the long thread then you know enough about the Bladefish to say whether it is for you or not.

I'd second the used Mako. You can find a good one in the $900-1000 range.

Wow, everyone seems to have a favorite scooter for this price range it seems. So any idea where I can find a used one? I checked on here and couldn't find one and dpv repair didn't have any available either. Also, should I be concerned buying used about battery life, etc?

Lol, I might be selling mine in the next few weeks (we have three scooters for two people; one needs to go!).

In general, just keep your eye out. A Mako is a much better investment than the higher-end "toy" scooters.

Also, should I be concerned buying used about battery life, etc?
Batteries are fairly inexpensive for Mako's at around $100.

Keep an eye on Ebay and The Deco Stop. FYI You have to register and be logged in to view the for sale forum of The Deco Stop.

Go to the LDS and rent a few different DPVs, but if your looking for an opinon here's mine :

Get a used Mako/Aeris. I currently have a 1987 Dacor Seasprint same as the Apollo AV-1. I love it. I bought it off Craigslist for $50., and bought a new battery for $60. It had a cracked fan shroud. But when I went to price out the the shroud they wanted $190. I ended up doing a little research and repaired it myself for $10., not the prettiest repair but it works fine. I've had to replace a few other parts that I ordered from directly from Apollo and they were not cheap. What I'm getting at is you can if you find an Dacor / Apollo AV-1 (i'm currently trying to find another one to store for parts) , prepare to pony up if you need parts. You can find some of the parts locally, but not all , for about 1/3 of what it will cost from the "retail guys", but it will take time and an a lot of research. The Mako parts on the other hand, seem readly available and for a reasonable price, for example one prop blade for the AV-1 is $30 on ebay and a complete prop assembly is $520. For the Mako you can get the entire prop assembly kit for $67. (That includes 3 prop blades and parts to build a complete assembly) Don't take my word for just google it and see. The Dacor / Apollo is a great DPV but I'm also on the lookout for a Mako. I'm not going to selling the Dacor when I find a Mako. I do a lot of beach diving and the Dacor suits me fine. It's built pretty solid and I've towed two other divers, at the same time, in full scuba gear, in some pretty strong current. I'm sure the Mako will do the same. My only complaint is having to carry it around. It's about 45 lbs out of the water on top of your dive gear. In the water it is about 2lbs negative but you still know it is there because it is bulky.

If you dive alone, or with someone else that has a scooter, the Bladefish is a good option.
One of the guys I dive with has a Bladefish 5000. He just straps it to his chest on the BC and doesn't know its there until he is ready to use it. But I have seen the Bladefish struggle a little, in a strong current but all he does it kick a little to help it out.

I don't have much experience with the Seadoo but I just look to see what is for sale and there are a lot of Seadoos for sale and cheap. That only tells me that nobody wants them for one reason or another. From your prior post you know how difficult it is to even find a used Mako in any condition for sale.

It really boils down to what you think you need. I like the Mako/Dacor/Apollo because I know they are strong enough to get me and at least another diver out of trouble, if need be. I would like to have one of the fancy tech scooter but it would be overkill for the diving I do.

If your in the Ft Lauderdale area and you see someone with something that looks like Franken-scooter, stop me and I'll be happy to let you take it for a spin.

There is a used Gavin currently for sale on craigslist for $1200. Ft Laud area. A little more than what you want to spend but you never know what he may take.

Good Luck

Last edited:
I'm thinking of getting a DPV and before the debate begins about tec vs rec DPV's I'll describe what I'll be using it for. I need something to take me out away from shore to do beach dives here in south florida. I've been researching the Bladefish 5000(I've read the long thread on it). I'm wondering if there is another DPV you would recommend in place of this or if you think this DPV would do the trick for what I will use it for. I've also seen the Tornado DPV and was wondering if anyone had any experiences with it or the Seadoo Explorer X. I'm shooting for the $700-$1000 price range. Thanks for any help.

Years ago, I considered doing the same and rejected the idea for several reasons.

If you decide to go that route, you need something better than a cheap toy. If you have DPV failure way out, then you must be prepared to tow it back. (I brought back a boat anchor from the second reef once, so it can be done.)

The DPV also needs significant runtime to make it worthwhile. Not only does it have to run long enough to get you out and back, but it needs runtime out there too. You don't want to get out there only to get 30 minutes or less before you have to turn the dive.

The reliability and runtime issues add up to big money for a real DPV. I wouldn't use any DPV out there that I wouldn't use on a cave dive. The Mako would be the absolute minimum.

I considered using the DPV for the ride out and back and leaving it on the bottom while I was out on the reef, but on a busy weekend someone might stumble across it. I even considered getting a lock and locking it to the bottom anchors used for the mooring balls on the second reef. (That should tell you how much thought I put into it before giving up on the idea.)

Not that it can't be done, but bottom line is you just don't need a DPV for those dives and you can get plently of bottom time if you just swim. It's good exercise too...

BTW, I was coming back from the 2nd reef Saturday and saw someone heading toward the water with a Torpedo. Was that you?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom