How hard is the IDC/IE exams?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Based on the quality of some instructors I've seen, I would say:

"No where near hard enough!"

IMHO, no matter what the agency requirements may be, 100 dives is not enough for someone to even be considering instructing.

I also think that someone should have to serve as a DM for a while before being allowed to take an instructor course.

That is like someone who just got their license wanting to teach a driver education course...

No offense to the poster of the question, and not trying to quell your enthusiasm, but if you truly want to be an instructor, wouldnt you want to be the best instructor you could?

The best way to do that is get out and get some diving experience before trying to teach others how to dive.

smb1014 once bubbled...
I am a diver with about 100 logged dives in my log book. I am currently thinking about pursuing the IDC to teach people to be divers. Just curious, how hard is the IDC/IE? Are the PADI IE sticklers?

You evidently are not a Dive Master are you?

The IE exam covers the same material.You need to REALLY know the standards and procedures . DO NOT FAIL standards and procedures.

I had years of diving experience as well as years of being a DM befor cosidering instructing.

There were students at the IDC that were doing dives later in the day to make the 100 requirement.They had no practical dive center experience and no specialities.

Ya,they passed the IE.Would I want them to teach me? No way.
They had no practical experience.

Do yourself a favor and buy the Encyclopedia of Recreational Diving and Knowledge Review CD rom and go through it a couple of times .

BTW,get into really good shape for your DM course.

Ron

I sort of looked at the initial post as just like a high school student would solicit information on what major they should take in college. Perhaps I was mistaken.

It does sound like most people believe that 100 dives is WAY TOO FEW dives for becoming an instructor. Thats just my feeling based on the general consensus of these boards.

Knavey,

I agree with you, I think the original post was just someone looking for information on what it would be like to take the IDC not someone planning to do it tomorrow.

smb1014,

Since no one seems to have answered your question I will. While the material isn't hard if you've studied for and passed you're DM class it can be very stressfull. I did my IDC at a place called Pro Dive here in Ft. Lauderdale and it was a Monday thru Friday type class so everything was done in one weeks time. I started at 7am and finished school at 4 pm. After dinner the homework started. That lasted until 11pm or 12am some nights because it had to be ready the next morning. After the IDC came the Instructor Exam (IE) by PADI. We were evaluated on everything from classroom presentation to how we deminstrated the required skills. This lasted all day Saturday and Sunday. Then of course there was the final exam.

I was in the military back when I was younger and basic training was a real pain, stressfull, hecktic, fast paced and very phisically demanding. In comparison, I'd say basic training was less stressfull, and in some ways easier, then the IDC. It's tough but not impossible. Of course this was all done at a very good school with Instructors that made you work for what you got, they didn't give you a passing grade just because you paid them to attend.

Scott

John,

That reply is a little inflamitory. Of course, I am taking into consideration your personal opinion here.

I have to disagree when you believe 100 dives is just not enough. I'm sorry, I've seen instructors who's had way more than that, many times over who truly sucked. I'm seen some instructors with barely 80 dives, while wet behind the ears, sticklers for safety, skills, buoyancy and quite idealistis put on one excellent OW class and I hope they remain just as anal through the years.

Now, I'll unzip my fly. I'm a new instructor, I've got barely over 100 dives (logged) and maybe oh a few dozen not logged. I'll tell you this much, the conditions and locations that I dive and teach are the same waters that I began some years ago. Do I consider myself an excellent or expert instructor? Nah, I think that would be an arrogant trait I can live without. I do put on a very demanding class, of course, with every student, I am fine tuning my teaching style.

As far as serving as a DM, sure, I would like to have served as a DM for a while before ITC, but I wasn't an AI or a DM before I began. I instead took NAUI PREP. Is my intention to be the best instructor I can be? Oh, that goes without saying. I know this, I met and exceeded the requirements of the skills, teaching theory, physics, etc required, in addition to other componants required to be demonstrated and evaluated.

Yes, the best way to learn is to dive, and dive I did, and do, and it gives me alot of material to add to in relation to different topics that I lecture. I don't think ITC (or in that guys case, IDC) should be "boot camp", I'm not a 90 day insta-instructor, but, not too far from it, I was a guy with my MSD who decided to pick up the ball and run with it. I'll toot my own horn for a moment though, Out of 6 students attempting ITC, I was the sole survivor. Was it hard, yes, it was. Was it impossible? Well, I'm an instructor. I survived.

With all these things in mind, should it be your intent to see me and others like me as crap instructors, that's ok, I can live with that. It's not going to be a factor in my decision to renew my NAUI Instructor cert. I will tell you this, NAUI prep and ITC if nothing else, made me a much better diver.

Cave Diver once bubbled...
Based on the quality of some instructors I've seen, I would say:

"No where near hard enough!"

IMHO, no matter what the agency requirements may be, 100 dives is not enough for someone to even be considering instructing.

I also think that someone should have to serve as a DM for a while before being allowed to take an instructor course.

That is like someone who just got their license wanting to teach a driver education course...

No offense to the poster of the question, and not trying to quell your enthusiasm, but if you truly want to be an instructor, wouldnt you want to be the best instructor you could?

The best way to do that is get out and get some diving experience before trying to teach others how to dive.

To answer the original question...

The IDC is actually fun, but ....

the IE is Extremely hard if:

1- you did not comprehend stuff from the IDC
2- You do not follow exactly what PADI expects from you - something which you learn during the IDC.
3- You are not a good diver (you have problems performing the any of the 22 Water Skills)

The IE is extremely easy if:

1- You understood what PADI expects from you
2- You follow everything in the guidelines of the IDC
3- You know your 22 waterskills very well
4- You understand and are able to complete the theory exams

Frankly speaking, it was one of the most exciting experiences of my life, I had a GREAT Course Director who really taught me the PADI System. I was also lucky that I did the IDC over 8 weekends as I could not free myself for 10 straight days... so it gave me time to really understand stuff.

The IE, well as I said extremely exciting and challenging... Once you get the theory exams out of the way, everything else is a lot of fun...

Hope this gives you a reason to pursue becoming a pro...

Agree with coliseum and want to add that the IE should end up being easy if you prepare for your IDC with lots of dive theory study and by spending hours in the pool practising your dive skills and watching other instructors or DM'ing for them.

Take a look here for info about the PADI IDC and Dive theory, there is also some great video demonstrations on the skills you will need to demonstrate on the PADI IDC and IE.

Good luck

FYI, this is a SIX YEAR OLD thread you resurrected.

Looks like the OP made it to Dive Master.

Back
Top Bottom