Why not mail order?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sgj

Registered
Reaction score
Well, I had a Genesis Resource that went blank at 80 feet off Cozumel late last year. So I took it to this authorized dealer in Tampa (Terrace Water Sports) to get it checked out. They gave it back to me stating that it was a battery problem and that they had fixed it. But since my life depended on it, I argued that I had used a new battery right before my trip to Cozumel. They agreed reluctantly to 'run more tests'. I get a call back a couple of weeks later saying that the computer had a transducer problem and that it needed to be replaced. After a lot of thought and thanking God that I had not gone diving with it, I agreed to have the computer sent back to the company for an upgrade. (I checked with this board the wisdom of sticking with Genesis, of course). Now this was more than four months ago. I would call every one or two weeks for an update on the computer, and would get a response that they would check on it. But never a call back... Finally, it dawned on me that I should call Genesis, and I did- only to find out that the replacement was shipped a little more than three months ago. I call the dive shop and they blame Genesis for not processing it the right way. So, after being almost being sent to dive with a faulty computer, being given the run- around for three months and many computer rentals later I AM MAD!
How does one find justice with these rogue dive shops? And is it better just to go with mail- order? I spoke to the guy at Genesis who said that they have no control over the dive shops! So what is the advantage of dive shops over mail order. Perhaps scuba manufacturers need to think about selling their gear directly, bypassing a rotten egg in the middle.
Thanks for allowing me to vent.

Do I understand correctly?

Your fixed computer went back to the LDA three months ago, and you've been renting a computer for that three month period, thinking that the comp. was still at Genesis?

If so, did you ask for the computer rental fee to be reduced or refunded?

The LDS (Terrace water sports) does not rent computers. I rented it from another LDS that did (which was not a Gensis dealer). Basically, I have the LDS blaming the manufacturer and the manufacturer pointing fingers at the LDS!
Also, the computer was found to have a transducer problem and a replacement upgrade (newer model) was sent.

Well,

If you don't like the service you have received and you don't get some satisfaction, let the Better Business Bureau know about it.

Doing that may allow another customer to see that there is a problem with that business.

www.bbb.org

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom