Looking for ways to keep fit for diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cardio has always been the key to my air usage. As much as I hate to do it running is what keeps me at max bottom time.

dw

SWIM!!!! Tis awesome! Nothing like swimming a mile every morning doing freestyle. Feels great. Competitive breast stroke is also good since it works the specific leg muscles for diving. Well, providing you don't flutter kick when diving...
Freestyle is a much better overall workout though, and it only takes half an hour ish to swim a mile if you're taking your time, so it burns a lot more calories in a lot shorter of a time than running. Plus gives you a full body workout

it really depends on how fit you want to be. If you want to get in really good shape you could get into P90X. That is one hell of a program. It is a little more advanced but you can do everything from your own living-room. All you need are the bands. It is modifiable for all ages and fitness levels. With Cardio, Plyos, and Strength training. It is a well all around fitness program. I highly recommend it. With this program after just 90 days my brother (former Division 1 college football lineman) lost 55lbs and 6 pant sizes. It will also get you in awesome shape.

There are any number of ways to stay fit.

Strength is handy in scuba diving because you have heavy stuff. It is good to do some weight lifting to maintain muscle tone. Also it is good to do core training (abdominals). Core training strengthens the abdominals which support the back.

You would want to combine this with some form of aerobic exercise. The kind of aerobic exercise you do is not as important as the fact that you actually do it. Any exercise that you do is far better for you than any exercise that you don't do. Walking, slow jogging, bicycling, swimming are all good.

You could join a gym and do some light weights, abdominals and work out on treadmills, ellipticals, stair climbers or spin bikes.

If you don't have easy access to a pool and don't like impact, then Rowing and Kettlebell workouts are good conditioning exercises. Cycling or Mountain Biking can be a nice option too.

If you like to dabble in many different things, you can follow the www.CrossFit.com site and scale back their workout to your level and equipment availability. This will also introduce you to many things you may not have considered before.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom