Any Diving in the Nashville Area?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oyster Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi everyone,
I may be visiting the Nashville area later this year and was wondering if there were any interesting dive sites. With all of the history in the area, there must be a few cool places to visit.

I have experience diving in rivers and limited (including zero) visibility. If anyone could help me out with what to expect, where to go, or better yet let me tag along on some of your dives, I would really appreciate it. If you ever come to Maryland, I'll return the favor with some ocean wrecks.

Thanks for the help and if you have any questions, please ask.

Wreck

I can't believe this is the ONLY diving near Nashville. I'm willing to drive a few hours in any direction, but want to see more than an underwater school bus. Any suggestions are welcome.

In that case, you'll also want to check out Pennyroyal Blue Springs Scuba (a quarry & dive shop) in Hopkinsville, KY (maybe an hour & a half from you) and Dale Hollow Lake. Cadiz, KY, used to have Dive Cerulean, but that closed down, so if you run across online mentions searching for it, don't let it throw you off.

Richard.

Hi,
I'm Fred, the owner of Martha's Quarry. There is not any school buses in the quarry. there is a transit bus (similar to a gray hound). there are 4 buildings underwater, 2 one story , a three story, and a four story to explore. We will be open thru the month on Oct.

Martha's is a very cool dive. Its not often you get to dive buildings in these quarries.

You could drive 1-1/2 to 2 hours to Loch Low Minn . A pritty good dive Good viz ,Staff is realy helpful . They come down to the quarry pick up your tanks and fill them $5:00 a fill
Loch Low Minn is just out side Athens . Athens is northeast of Noxville

What are the water temps in that area?

In quarry diving, depends on the time of year and the depth.

As the summer gets warmer and into August, etc, the thermocline slowly creeps downward.

This time of year bottom temps might get up in the low 70's, but I'd expect them to be in the mid sixties at most quarries around here at depths of 40 to 60 feet. All quarries are slightly different in their temps slightly based on all kinds of conditions (sun, sun hitting large quarry walls radiating into the water, depth, etc).

It take a long time for the water to warm up... but also a long time for it to cool down. So bottom temps are still not dropping until into October or November. So still great to dive here then.

Martha's is real nice, and pretty big too.

Top is warm enough for a bathing suit and bottom is, as the saying goes... colder than a well digger's ass.

Definately worth a splash. :D Planning another visit myself in a couple of weeks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom