Morgan Spring, July26

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PfcAJ

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Morgan Spring. One of the most beautiful dive sites I’ve been to, both on the surface and under the water. Litehedded and I had been diving there about a year ago, but rains and high river levels had pushed dark water into the cave, which prevented us from diving it since.

Our day started with loading gear into my truck at 530am, then the haul from Orlando to High Springs. We stopped at Extreme Exposure to fill our stages, backgas, argon, and deco bottles. The staff at EE, as always, made short work of filling our tanks and we were back on the road.

Access to Morgan costs 10 bucks (paid at Cave Excursions West) which covers the landowner’s insurance. Fine by me, I’d pay more to dive this place. Plus, the landowner is a really nice guy. Getting there, however, is not so simple and easy. The 45min path (from CE) takes you down obscure roads through the middle of Florida farm land. Cell phone signal is lost, and gradually you find yourself farther and farther away from civilization. A few twists and turns down dirt roads, under the powerlines, and a right at the fence with a big rock and you’re there.

Morgan is a deeper cave with depths approaching 200’. It has a little bit outflow, but this turns into a slight siphon just a little ways in. The entrance is a straight shot from about 40’ to 180’ down a twisty fissure crack in the corner of the surface pool. The main passage looks a little like the Pothole tunnel at peacock, but siltier, a little smaller, and with pristine white walls. Visibility isn’t great at 25’ (give or take), but it was good enough to get the green light.

Here’s where the fun starts: 95 degrees, 95% humidity, noon-ish, 9 tanks, and 3 scooters down many flights of stairs. ‘Nuff said? Grab a snickers and a bottle of water, its gunna be a while.

After gearing up into our drysuits and doubles, we made one last trip down the stairs to cool off in the 72 degree spring water. Looking up at the impressive deck around the spring and taking in the picturesque scenery, we cliped off our two stages each, 70 and 20ft deco bottles, and I had the tow scooter. We clipped off our primary scooters, fired up the lights, and we were divin!

Dives like this have slightly different gas planning than we usually use on cave dives. Thirds is out the window, it simply isn’t conservative enough. We use stages only and keep the backgas entirely in reserve. This gives us 280 cubic feet of gas to deal with any issue we may encounter and it’s in a flexible format that can be shared, plus each reg can be shut down, leaving access to the rest of the gas. This is a technique we borrow from the WKPP.

We planned to descend on backgas dropping 20’ and 70’ bottles, and then switch to our stages. This allowed us to chill out for a second and give a good once over before entering the cave, ensured we were on the right bottle and nothing had been overlooked. A quick exchange of OKs, and we descended through the shaft. After an OK of the lights once we hit 180’, we hit the trigger.

The first thousand feet is a pretty straight shot, but still requires the utmost attentiveness. The line is a thick goldbraid, but it’s often hard to see, regardless. I led, setting the pace and trying my hardest to find the best path for us both to pass through. The ceiling is pretty low in places, but the cave is fairly wide (sometimes I couldn’t even see the far right wall). There are a few jumps off to the left, but those will have to wait for another day.

At around 2300’ (ish, its hard to tell. We were 20mins in, but certainly not running wide open the whole time), the cave narrows into a restriction. It sneaks up on you, a bit, given the low vis and speed of the scooters. I shot through, but my prop kicked up enough silt to cause Litehedded to slow down. This is where DIR diving really pays off. I was on one side of the restriction, laden with two stages and a tow scooter, and my bud was on the otherside of a siltout. I stayed put and waited for a minute or two (which felt like a lot longer, let me tell you) as my stage approached drop pressure.

There is something special about 200’ in zero vis. Litehedded knew that two divers in a zero vis restriction with a ton of gear was not a good idea. I came back through, on the line using the Ray Charles method and found him switching stages, lightening his load to come through. This is the sign of a real pro who thinks the situation through completely. We looked at each other, and you could see the wheels turning upstairs. Farther in was a dive we’d have to do in the future, today wasn’t the day. We popped the thumb, I switched my stage, and we started the cruise out, checking out those side passages and alcoves. Already planning the next one.

The hour of deco was pretty uneventful. We shot some silly video at 20’ (‘cuz why not?), drank from our Camelbaks, and played hangman. 40mins at 180ft, run time 117mins. We surfaced to the sun starting to go down, and after 10mins of surface deco, we lugged our backgas up the stairs and started the oh-so-fun process of pulling all that stuff back out of the water (wait…didn’t we just put it IN the water? Wat do?!). Following that, we hit the road for the long, 3 and a half hr drive back home to Orlando. It was a great day, a great dive, and we learned a lot. On top of all that, we got to see some really beautiful cave! It was a lot of work, but completely worth it.

Attachments

• morganAJ.jpg
    morganAJ.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 85
  • morganscooters.jpg
    morganscooters.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 87
  • morgansurface.jpg
    morgansurface.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 90
  • morgansurface2.jpg
    morgansurface2.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 84
  • brianmorgan.jpg
    brianmorgan.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 87
Low viz scootering in a cave is challenging. Marchand and I recently turned a dive after dropping tons of gear in the water because the viz was beyond our skill level with that much gear distracting us. JJ/Casey have made big dives seem very easy, but the reality is they're tough as can be. Glad to see a report that demonstrates how qualified divers sometimes have to regroup for another day.

Try try try again. I think the key to getting to the level of the guys we look up to is to keep honest about or skill set mid dive, and never settle for diving the same caves over and over.

thanks for writing the report.

Great report. What is the diving like at Morgan in the cavern or cave1 range? Looks like a nice place, 10 bucks seems like a great deal.

Great report. What is the diving like at Morgan in the cavern or cave1 range? Looks like a nice place, 10 bucks seems like a great deal.
No such thing.

If you want to try something a bit different at the c1 level, Telford is by far your best bet out of the caves people talk about. If you're willing to put some work into it, grab a canoe and start paddling the northern part of the Suwannee River, you can find backmount caves that are around 100ft. Also look at joining the Wakulla Co Dive Club, they have access to a few shallow caves up near tallahassee that are really cool, but involve a walk to get to (so most people skip over them).

Nice one although I think you got it easy on that purported "hiking" lol

This is an advanced c2 dive, its 200' deep immediately and super silty.

Really appreciate the write up. Sounds like fun, even if you turned a bit earlier than planned. Still a lot of BT.

Low viz scootering in a cave is challenging. Marchand and I recently turned a dive after dropping tons of gear in the water because the viz was beyond our skill level with that much gear distracting us. JJ/Casey have made big dives seem very easy, but the reality is they're tough as can be. Glad to see a report that demonstrates how qualified divers sometimes have to regroup for another day.

Try try try again. I think the key to getting to the level of the guys we look up to is to keep honest about or skill set mid dive, and never settle for diving the same caves over and over.

thanks for writing the report.

at least your scooter got to make the trip :wink:

morgan is cool. it's like they took peacock and sunk it a tad deeper, added a lot more fluffy silt and reduced the vis. (then aj reduced it a little further just to make it exciting :D)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom