Wreck locations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The_Ghost

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
What are some of your favorite wreck dives that are penetrable and that isn't too deep. When I mean isn't too deep, like I don't need to specially trained in trimix or something. oh and in cased your wondering I do have my C card for enriched air.

I'm just looking into future wreck diving spots and was looking for some input. Google and the search function wasn't turning up the results I wanted so I figured I would just post something.

thnx

My favorite is S.S. Wisconsin, off of Kenosha. It sank as the result of a storm in 128 feet of water in 1929. A steel, steam powered freighter, It is 215 feet long and mostly intact. I have made hundreds of dives on / in it and have not even come close to exploring all of it. We dove it last weekend and from the bottom of the mooring line which was tied to the port rail amidships you could see both ends of the wreck - over 100 feet!

If you can travel half the globe, USAT Liberty at Tulamben Bali probability the easiest wreck diving in the world - lay 30 m shore, 5 - 30 m depth, practically a beautiful artificial coral, though you can penetrate the cargo area. You'll see almost everything of tropical diving can expect - muck diving with weird critter, great barracuda, jackfish school, bumphead parrot fish ect.
Just search Tulamben, you'll find tonne of information

been around the world a few times...just got to survive the long flight times. :)

Some of my favorite wreck (that are in recreational limits) are actually in Lebanon. Look up the "SS Souffleur Lebanon". It is one of my favorite wrecks in less than 130'.

Or were you looking for something a little closer to home? :D

Well I live in illinois I dont think I am going to find to much close to home except the great lakes. I was just looking for wrecks within recreational limits where ever. The plan is to have a few spawn..err kids after a couple years and I am just trying to get a feel of whats some good penetration wrecks to visit before I get stuck at home for a while.

I found the USS Oriskany when I was googling around and like most wrecks half of them are way past my dive limits. Just makes me sad. I guess maybe start working towards my trimix diving? haha
If theres any notable ones on the easy cost around maryland that would be helpfull. I will be going that direction within a year or so.

Is penetration of Great Lakes wrecks safe/common without tech training? Not judging; genuinely curious.

Is penetration of Great Lakes wrecks safe/common without tech training? Not judging; genuinely curious.

Always dive withing your certification limits. NEVER PENETRATE A WRECK WITHOUT PROPER TRAINING!

This is to answer the "safe" part of your question, not the common part.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom