oil rig explosion off vermillion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Standard11

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
It's sad the media jumps on this like flies on **** :D
Glad everyone is alright!

It's sad the media jumps on this like flies on **** :D
Glad everyone is alright!

I know that the color of Angelina Jolie's newest tattoo is important, but an exploding and/or burning rig in the Gulf is still newsworthy. The press didn't make it explode, they are just reporting on it, which is really kinda what they get paid to do.

About 3 years ago this would have never made the news. Well maybe local news but not national news.

but 3 years ago the largest oil spill in a body of water to date didnt just occur a few months before...the valdez spill was in like 1989 and im sure if another rig exploded right after that the reporters wouldve flocked to it. but again, the good news is nobody was hurt and i read something about it being a dead well so, hopefully no oil will come out if worst comes to worst.

Why is every thing in the Gulf of Mexico a rig? Does the general public know the difference? It took the media a few hours to make this distinction and pin the location of the Vermilion block as being south of Lafayette LA (SW Louisiana) and not Grand Isle La (SE Louisiana). They were off by 150 miles. This is like getting Gulf Shores and Panama City confused. And this was Fox news!! I think they get about 10% of the story right most of the time.

I would also like to see these full body immersion suits (gumby survival suits). We just don't use them in the Gulf. North Sea yes, but not in the Gulf. Come on who wants to put on 10 ml of neoprene in August to jump into 85-90F water? Look at the video - Type 1 life jackets.

I'd be surprised if this fire resulted in much pollution at all. Total production was reportedly 1400 bopd (condensate). Pollution was more likely diesel, I suspect, much akin to what you'd expect if a boat caught on fire and sank.

Now I'm curious why these guys all jumped into the water. The facility should have had a life boat or at least a raft. Was this panic perhaps induced by recent media coverage or was the company too cheap to buy one, opting for the least expensive option.

There's one thing for sure, this group of guys did exactly what they were trained for and they survived an incident. I sure do hope that everyone walked out of the hospital went home, kissed momma and the kids and are having a beer tonight.

This Bud's for you.

Here's a little more about Mariner Energy. A 2nd-3rd tier operator who buys the stuff the majors don't want anymore or develops marginal fields with minimal staff to maximize profit.
http://yahoo.brand.edgar-online.com...086989-31246-142536&SessionID=qZe2HHHAD_cyrl7

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom