Dahab & Sharm el Sheik questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

k374

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Will be in Dahab and Sharm el Sheik late Dec/Early Jan. Have a few questions:

I have read that all the dives in Dahab are shore dives.. I will be by myself, would I need to hire the services of a guide? If so, how expensive is that? I would prefer a boat dive if possible since I can dive with the group...any options? Same question for Sharm el Shiek.

I know this is off season for diving and large pelagic species are not going to be present, what kind of marine life can I expect in Dahab/Sharm?

Is it possible for me to dive the Blue Hole of Dahab with my PADI AOW?

Relax...Last question was just a joke... :rofl3: but the other questions are legit

The majority of dives in Dahab are shore dives. Since you're traveling alone, your dive op will put you with a group. Normally the dives will be guided.

It's possible to dive the Bells-Blue Hole with AOW qual. If you want to dive the Blue Hole's arch, you need at least an Extended Range card.

As "Shadow" said. ..

5mm suit should be fine. You will always need a guide - law out there and idea to show you the best sites.
The Red Sea is PACKED with life, the Vis is typically 40m + IMHO one of the worlds BEST places to dive.
You can expect to see all sorts of Sealife, Turtles, Rays, Sharks (if lucky), sometimes Whale Sharks, sometimes Dolphins and packed with every sort of fish.
Some wicked dives in Canyons, Caves, and walls, or miles and miles of pristine Coral.

Money wise, US dollars OK ish but much better change to Euro's or Egyptian pounds.
I would take cash and change at a local bank - better deals by far than say the airport.

There are some great boat dives, Ras Abu Helal is a 3 dive day trip from Dahab, some of the best diving there, any local dive shop can arrange for you.
You can also take a long day and go to the Thistlegorm but as that is Sharm based so best to do while you are there.

The Blue hole is fine for your level, it is though a Wall dive with a VERY deep bottom so make sure you watch your depth. A fantastic entry via Bells, which is a freefall down to 30m - superb.

There are some great boat dives, Ras Abu Helal is a 3 dive day trip from Dahab, some of the best diving there, any local dive shop can arrange for you.
Ras Abu Helal is a dive site. The 3-dive daily boat trip is to Gabr El Bint.

Excellent post though :D

Ras Abu Helal is a dive site. The 3-dive daily boat trip is to Gabr El Bint.

Excellent post though :D

Thanks 'Shadow.. Oops, sorry all :shakehead: Damn can't even edit it out LOL..
Amazing dive day though (Gabr) :D Absolutely fantastic.

Back
Top Bottom