Don't say it is....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ofleisher

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
too late - here is a reminder to all dive lovers :).

The biggest underwater photo competition world wide is around 60 days from kick off.....
Follow the link ====>>> epsonredsea

C U there .....

20 days left........

I attended all the previous Epson events as a spectator, and I must add that it is a great experience- photographers come from all over the world, get amazing photos, the event is a mixture of relaxed atmosphere and international friendship, AND the prizes are great.

It is a pity that there is almost no one coming from neighboring countries (BTW, I think in previous some of the sponsors were Sinai Divers)... Come on, just get on the bus and a couple of hours you're here! It is something you truly won't regret.

Not convinced? Visit the competition website and browse through the photos from previous years Eilat Shoot-Out

Don't miss the opportunity...

There is the problem that eilat is mainly macro. It really hasnt got good reef or anything over that. Plus it's eilat which is very expensive to eat, drink , stay and so on compared to neighbouring countries.
That and it's israel which alone makes it unappealing for neighbouring countries!

I could be there in 2 hours for example but i can't afford it and even if i could wont visit the country on principle.

There is the problem that eilat is mainly macro.

That's a common mistake- usually because of prejudiced mindset. Have you actually taken 1-2 minutes to look at photos from previous years? You'd be surprised by Wide Angle photographs, wrecks and actually any other type of photography. Yeah, including macro- but definitely not only. Eilat is in many ways a great place for photography.

It really hasnt got good reef or anything over that.

Ever seen that good-for-nothing reef by yourself?

. Plus it's eilat which is very expensive to eat, drink , stay and so on compared to neighbouring countries.
I could be there in 2 hours for example but i can't afford it and even if i could wont visit the country on principle.

That could be true. Some neighbouring countries are actually more expensive to stay and eat. And I'd even say that ALL neighboring countries are more expensive to DIVE. You can find cheap accommodation and food and Eilat- just as in Egypt, and vice versa- Egypt also has very expensive hotels too. It just depends on what you are looking for.

That and it's israel which alone makes it unappealing for neighbouring countries!

Well, this is really prejudice...

That's a common mistake- usually because of prejudiced mindset. Have you actually taken 1-2 minutes to look at photos from previous years? You'd be surprised by Wide Angle photographs, wrecks and actually any other type of photography. Yeah, including macro- but definitely not only. Eilat is in many ways a great place for photography.

Yes and more than that have spoken to many professional photographers who have been or for most used to go there. Its macro. Eilat has a few dive sites, "ok" diving and if you want good photos in the main its macro. Most don't bother going as they can get cheaper far more varied diving a few hours further south.

Ever seen that good-for-nothing reef by yourself?

No as i wont visit on moral grounds. However i do trust the opinion of many professional photographers and divers whose full time job is underwater photography.

That could be true. Some neighbouring countries are actually more expensive to stay and eat. And I'd even say that ALL neighboring countries are more expensive to DIVE. You can find cheap accommodation and food and Eilat- just as in Egypt, and vice versa- Egypt also has very expensive hotels too. It just depends on what you are looking for.

Eilat is basically london prices for food, drink and accomodation. The diving costs are a small part of it. Add visas, the transport, food, drink and general expenses and its a very very expensive place to visit for even a short time.

Well, this is really prejudice...

A lot of it is moral and principles.

Expensive??? at least you get some GOOD food for the money

More than easy to get GOOD food here for 1/5th the price. Decent food of all types and varieties. A damn good meal including steak for 5 euros rather than 20.

and why i'm not surprised with this kind of post from our "friendly" neighbour...

On a diving note i dont know of anyone from the UK or elsewhere i know that has been to eilat and gone back. All criticise the diving as the same as Taba - a few small sites, some small macro reef life, not great condition and good for 1 maybe 2 days diving maximum. Its also the same off professional photographers who have been to the competition previously.

On a personal note given israel is the unfriendly neighbour to all its why i choose to not visit the country in any way at all but the diving comments above mean even if i did condone their actions i wouldnt bother as i simply cant justify a large outlay for something which isn't actually that good. I can spend less and get better diving and photo attempts by going elsewhere.

Back
Top Bottom