PADI or YMCA cert.?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ZackD

Registered
Reaction score
Im currently a YMCA open water diver, and plan on getting an advanced certification soon, and probably rescue diver certification, too. I have the opportunity to either take the PADI classes or the YMCA classes. Any opinions?

Opinions? Oh, did you come to the right place.:D

Anybody want to join me at a ringside seat?

ZackD once bubbled...
I have the opportunity to either take the PADI classes or the YMCA classes. Any opinions?

Same instructor offering either/or/both? Or is it two different instructors?

Well here is my opinion

1) Choose the best instructor (question them, personality etc!)
2) Look at both curiculums, education material etc and see what fits your learning style best
3) Determine what your long term goals are; are you planning on going pro and travelling...PADI may help you best in this regard.
4) You've done YMCW...try PADi...see what you liked about both..compare and for your other trauàining you'll have a better idea
5) Finally, whichever you choose, have fun, learn and be safe!

I chose PADI. Suited my learning style. Awesome instructor. Great overall...not everyone has had the same experiences....but that was mine! Best of luck!:)

ZackD once bubbled...
Im currently a YMCA open water diver, and plan on getting an advanced certification soon, and probably rescue diver certification, too. I have the opportunity to either take the PADI classes or the YMCA classes. Any opinions?

Having been involved in the YMCA program for the past 4 years and also having spent a lot of time with divers from both backgrounds, I feel like I can provide a little insight.

First YMCA Open Water standards far exceed PADI requirements. This is well documented (See PADI vs. Diverlink)

Second, for advanced PADI seems to be more profit driven in that they have dumbed down the advanced program leaving out night dives alltogether (as I understand it.) The YMCA advanced is more of a finishing school for divers to get more experience under varying conditions with direct supervision from an experienced diver (Instructor).

As far as the Rescue course goes the YMCA SLAM (Scuba Lifesaving and Accident Management) course is a great experience and builds diver skill at preventing, evaluating and responding to diving accidents.
Most agencies recognize other agencies rescue training for the leadership courses. YMCA on the other hand requires their SLAM course to move into leadership, since it is much more comprehensive. Most Instructor crossover courses include the SLAM course in the training, so this is not the common nickel and dime approach to training like you might get somewhere else.

Hope this helps.

divemed06 once bubbled...
Well here is my opinion

1) Choose the best instructor (question them, personality etc!)
2) Look at both curiculums, education material etc and see what fits your learning style best
3) Determine what your long term goals are; are you planning on going pro and travelling...PADI may help you best in this regard.
4) You've done YMCW...try PADi...see what you liked about both..compare and for your other trauàining you'll have a better idea
5) Finally, whichever you choose, have fun, learn and be safe!

I chose PADI. Suited my learning style. Awesome instructor. Great overall...not everyone has had the same experiences....but that was mine! Best of luck!:)

I agree, with regard to my post above, I must add that the Instructor can and will make the difference no matter what the training agency.

The rescue program I went through was a combination YMCA/NAUE and was VERY comprehensive.

Done both. You will be better trained after the Y course, regardless of instructor. Y advanced has more diving training involved.

divermasterB once bubbled...

I agree, with regard to my post above, I must add that the Instructor can and will make the difference no matter what the training agency.

The rescue program I went through was a combination YMCA/NAUE and was VERY comprehensive.

oops, I mean NAUI

Drew Sailbum once bubbled...

Same instructor offering either/or/both? Or is it two different instructors?
Different.

Frankly, there's not much difference between the YMCA and PADI AOW programs. Either will be a waste of your time and money. OTOH, the YMCA does have an alternative that is far better. Silver Advanced is an excellent program and is the only "advanced" course I'll teach. I don't know much about the PADI Rescue class, but divermasterB is correct that while YMCA does recognize PADI's Rescue, it does not meet YMCA requirements for those moving to YMCA leadership certifications, a SLAM crossover is required for candidates with Rescue certifications from other agencies.

Keep in mind, the above is based on agency standards. There are excellent instructors who do exceed agency minimums. Sometimes you have to look really hard to find them, but they are out there teaching.

Back
Top Bottom