Pensacola Diving Report 9/4/10 (with pics and vids)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hetland

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Met up with Recharge, XRay and Grouper Saturday Morning and got the boat ready for a three tank dive. We found flat seas, and (relatively) cool temperatures out in the Gulf. We noticed tons of moon jellies, and more than a few sea nettles, but we were fortunate to have avoided their stings. We also spotted two moderately-sized leatherback turtles sunning themselves at the surface.

Our first stop was on natural bottom to the West of the pass. We were looking for lobster, but struck out. Luckily, Brandon and Barry were able to put two nice gags in the boat, and Larry added a sheepshead. The snapper population is still healthy, and we saw two snapper big enough to feed a family of six, but they're off limits, so we admired their size, and moved on. Barry and Brandon also reported a large bull shark with attendant cobia. Strangely, neither were interested in shooting the cobia off of the shark, but to each his own :wink: Larry sustained a significant hand injury getting back on the boat, and Barry provided excellent first-aid. We left it to Larry to decide if the day was done, but his bandage stayed clean, and he was willing to boat-sit for two additional dives, so we moved a ways East for our second tank.

We relocated to a small artificial reef, and I found a pair of octopuses to photograph. Within five minutes we were joined by a pair of sandbar sharks. They kept a close watch on us in case we happened to lose a fish, but they went without (us) feeding them.

Our next stop was the Mass. Barry and I dropped alone, and headed in different directions. I spotted a nice eagle ray on the way down, and was happy to find viz up to 35ft on the South side of the wreck. Barry had a short encounter with a resident goliath grouper, and was able to take a black snapper for the ice chest. I took my time exploring the exterior of the wreck, and just enjoying the warm Gulf water. About an hour later, we met at the anchor line and spotted the eagle ray once again, making a nice end to a great set of dives.

As always, thanks to Barry, Larry and Brandon for an awesome day diving.

[vimeo]14729360[/vimeo]
http://www.vimeo.com/14729360

IMG_1062a.jpg

IMG_1060a.jpg

IMG_1059a.jpg

IMG_1050a.jpg

IMG_1044a.jpg

IMG_1035a.jpg

IMG_1030a.jpg

IMG_0998a.jpg

FrameCapture6.jpg

FrameCapture5.jpg

FrameCapture4.jpg

FrameCapture3.jpg

FrameCapture2.jpg

FrameCapture1.jpg

FrameCapture0.jpg

FrameCapture7.jpg

:vortoberfest:

Very nice video, :jaws:Great to have the dive team back together.Took one for the team,could not have stood the PAIN from the crushed finger,but thanks to M.D. Barry Shively and his expert medical treatment ,I will live to kill fish again.Good news that the red snapper season will reopen, looking like a lot of bottom time for the team,and a lot of worst night mare's for the snapper.Great day on and below the sea.:zap:

thnx for the report

It's a tough job being the bread winner in this family. But someone has to keep us all fed! Grouper321 did shoot one of the prettiest Grouper I've seen this year albeit much, much smaller than mine! :D

All kidding aside, it was a great day. I couldn't have imagined it turning out better! Great Shark encounters with some awesome video. Hetland's video is top shelf....Great Job! Things got intense a couple of times when the sharks were coming at you from your right and left it made them hard to keep track of and the Butt pucker went to level 10! :mooner:

The last dive of the day being the Mass was a great call. The viz was unbelievable! Must have been 30 feet. Which made for some great hunting. I wished I'd shot a bit more video on the Mass, but I got distracted chasing Gags around the wreck. Great times and memories as always!

My video of the Sharks:

[vimeo]14728077[/vimeo]

Here is the best picture I ended up with on the Golioth Grouper on the Mass. Again the pucker factor kept me from getting any closer. Espceially since he would come at me with his mouth open, and it looked as if he could smallow my head whole:

P9048382.jpg

Some others:

P9048388.jpg

P9048383.jpg

P9048384.jpg

P9048385.jpg

Shark1.jpg

Great shots all around guys. Glad to see the Goliath Grouper still lives on the Mass. And I agree Barry, first time I stuck my head under that area and saw his big mouth, I experienced the pucker factor. Gotta love a dive on the Mass, still one of my favorites especially with 30-40 ft viz!

Well, Well, Well !!!! Mrxray thanks to Me, I let you have a( shot )at the Grouper category this year, shame we didnt get a pic of the grouper on the saftey stop. No, we all had a great day on the water and thats all that counts. Recharge was a trooper for sure, got to get that hand better for snapper season, I can smell them from Pace, lol. All the video's are great from both of you guy's.

Back
Top Bottom