DIR in Jersey?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gsk3

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My meager attempt at a trip report, in the spirit of recent complaining about not enough trip reports posted here. I posted this on the GUE forum and got not a single response, which reinforces the point about not getting enough, well, reinforcement.

~~

DIR in Jersey? Yes, it can be done!

A Fundies-trained friend (who will doubtless see this post and comment soon) and I headed out this weekend to break our quarry rut. Seas were calm by local standards (2-3ft swells headed out, picking up to ~4ft whitecaps on the way in). Vis was pretty good (15-20ft on the first dive, dropping to a little under 10ft by the second dive). Best of all, the waters were warm, warm, warm (67F!).

Now, I know Jersey has a reputation for being hostile to anything smelling of George Irvine, and for having risky shenanigans be the order of the day. But what we experienced was simply good hospitality. We didn't rub our diving philosophy in anyone's faces, and they didn't get in ours. My teammate even had blue H's all over his webbing, and no one commented.

We just tried to be respectful of our boatmates' experience, and received the same in return. Honestly, aside from the endemic solo diving, there wasn't really anything to complain about, safety-wise. I know, that's a little bit like the old joke, "Aside from the intermission Mrs. Lincoln, how'd you like the play?" Nevertheless, everyone used appropriate gas management, redundant gas supplies, reasonable gas choices (as best I could tell, everyone had 32% for a 90ft dive), and appropriate ascent strategies (most everyone left the bottom at about the same time, and most everyone arrived at the surface at about the same time; we did stops starting at 50ft, and their ascent rates tended to be continuous but extremely slow, so overall the profiles weren't much different).

All-in-all, we had a lot of fun, got in some good diving, and were able to dive the way that we have found to be safe and comfortable and no one gave us any criticism at all about it.

So stop being afraid of Jersey and drop me a line and come dive some time ;-)

Best wishes,
Ari

P.S. While I have plenty of respect for experience, the weekend only served to strengthen my love for the GUE system. I was friends with my teammate but had never dove with him before. There was not a single hiccup, as our hand signals, gas management, general attitude towards diving/safety, and so forth were all entirely aligned. It was an impressive testament to the value of standardization, and the experience was vastly more relaxing than my last dives in the North Atlantic.

It's great to hear the system works... I have a friend who moved out to DE from CA that is in search of Findie-fied divers. He's itching to get back in and enjoying the diving off the coast. I'll tell him that NJ diving is nothing to be afraid of :wink:

Thanks for the report

It's great to hear the system works... I have a friend who moved out to DE from CA that is in search of Findie-fied divers. He's itching to get back in and enjoying the diving off the coast. I'll tell him that NJ diving is nothing to be afraid of :wink:

Thanks for the report

Happy to dive with your friend any time. Have him drop me a line.

Thanks for posting your report.

Three weeks ago, I dove MA for the first time with two other GUE trained divers, we'd never dove as a team nor had any of us every dove MA before. The experience was similar to yours, very stress free and comfortable because we were diving the system. :)

Good stuff, Ari!!!

Meanwhile you and I have never dove together Sam, despite seeing each other all the time!

Although I'm not a "DIR" diver, I have met quite a few on the boat. They were than a pleasure to have on the boat. They didn't question anyone elses diving setup, including me going in solo with a back mounted pony. And no one questioned theirs. I'm glad your experience was no different.
I think most of the bickering between DIR, and non DIR stays on the internet, and doesn't extend into the water.

I think most of the bickering between DIR, and non DIR stays on the internet, and doesn't extend into the water.

That has been more or less my experience as well.

I should say that I didn't go into this expecting any trouble, because I've never had any before. As with many things, the discussions are angrier on the Internet.

You forgot one important thing....did you dive at all, or just sit on the boat and hold hands? :D

You forgot one important thing....did you dive at all, or just sit on the boat and hold hands? :D

Rofl, yes I think the only thin missing from the dive report is the dive report :)

Why post a dive report when you know your teammate will chime in a day or two with a detailed one? :-O

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom