Last weekend dive report... 3 days of diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Puffer Fish

Captain Happy
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Seas were calm every day... so I did Panama City off shore on Sat, followed by two days of diving with Dave, Lisa and Angie.

Sat's first dive was the old navy platform structure in around 110 ft of water... the place is sort of blenny heaven...mostly just enjoyed the dive, and took a couple images:

fireworm_900.JPG

Damsel_900.JPG

Blenny_900.JPG

Blenny_901.JPG

The other dives were ok.... but if left to just me, I would do it over and over again...

Sunday and Monday were totally different...

Sunday a button got stuck on my camera, so no images.. but got it fixed for Monday.

We were diving a location that I have never been to, and don't think any others have.

When I first went down, there was a red snapper with a hook in it's mouth, with the weight, attached to the line, stuck in the reef. Don't know how long it had been stuck, but they was no sign of any bait.

I could cut the line, but the hook was in a nasty location, so decided to do a careful removal. Never tried to hold a fish underwater, so did not know what to expect. To my surprise, when I grabbed him, he just relaxed and lay in my hand. I removed the hook, let go and he just layed there until I touched his tail. At the end of the dive, when I came back to that area, he came up along side of me and swam with me to the edge of the reef.

Huge amount of life in this area... scorpion fish every 10 ft or so, moray's everywhere...saw at least three basket star fish...Octos in most holes....and then these guys:

bigeye_900.JPG

Never seen one before and here are a bunch. They live over a hole...which they seemed to be guarding, as they would just stick their fins up if you got close... but stay outside the hole.

Here is the sort of why they looked on the reef:

bigeye_902.JPG

Spotted moray's were everwhere, including the largest I have ever seen.

Morey_903.JPG

Morey_900.JPG

morey_901.JPG

Lots of young fish:

anglefish_900.JPG

And the typical Batfish:

batfish_900.JPG

Then on the way back, got this guy... a 10 ft or so jelly:

jelly_900.JPG

Not sure what all that stuff is behind it, but did take a close up of the head:

jelly_901.JPG

There are some more images in my photo gallery, but that covers the high points....

Wow, outstanding photos. Sound like a couple locations I love to hit sometime. I would like to know what the little orange guys are, too.

Thanks, got lucky...

The orange guy is a short bigeye. A deep water fish...Humann/Deloach have it as rare and lives between 100 and 650 ft....these were at 80...guess no one told them.

In my... ah, few years of diving here, have never seen one before, so I took a lot of images.

Great images, especially the first one of the bigeye. I actually saw one of these at the Destin jetties several years ago. It was floating near the surface sideways and appeared to be dead. I picked it up, and it started moving a little. It must have been very close to death and was probably carried in by currents from deeper water. I consider this to be the most unusual thing I have ever seen at the jetties, although since it was barely alive I'm not sure if I should count it as a "real" sighting. For years I had seen pictures of these in books, and I had always wanted to see one. They are very cool fish.

Great images, especially the first one of the bigeye. I actually saw one of these at the Destin jetties several years ago. It was floating near the surface sideways and appeared to be dead. I picked it up, and it started moving a little. It must have been very close to death and was probably carried in by currents from deeper water. I consider this to be the most unusual thing I have ever seen at the jetties, although since it was barely alive I'm not sure if I should count it as a "real" sighting. For years I had seen pictures of these in books, and I had always wanted to see one. They are very cool fish.

Thanks, Would bet someone hooked one and threw it back...sad.

Awesome job with the photos. One day i will be up to par with you, I hope.:D

Thanks, but I'm not doing anything that you could not be doing...If you can get over here to dive, would be happy to trade camera's during a dive.

I want to take pictures like Jim when I grow up! Great job Jim....hope we can dive again together soon!

I would avoid that growing up thing as long as possible...

Thanks Glen... and hope that is sooner rather than later my friend.

Back
Top Bottom