Hollis F1 "Bat Fin" Size Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CaptainKidd

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just received my brand new F1 fins, and am unsure of the fit. I wear a size 10 to 10.5 shoe (depending on shoe) and a size 10, hard sole wetsuit booty. According to the size chart on the hollis site, this would put me in an XL fin. When I put the fins on, I'm getting a little lateral (side to side) movement on each foot. In water the fins feel a bit lose.

My question: Can this be fixed with the spring strap, and if so, how? Or do I need to consider a smaller size?

Thanks!!

Frankly, if it can't be fixed with the standard strap, I don't see how a spring would help. A standard strap is infinitely adjustable. A spring is not.

Thanks Tim, but are you familiar with the Hollis F1's? They come standard with a spring strap, and it is adjustable.

Anyone out there with these fins that may have experienced a similar issue?

THanks.

Thanks Tim, but are you familiar with the Hollis F1's? They come standard with a spring strap, and it is adjustable.

Anyone out there with these fins that may have experienced a similar issue?

THanks.

I'm having the same problem... they seem to fit fine on land, in the water they feel a bit loose, but I'm able to swim OK. Maybe I'll play with the spring a bit, but I suspect that it is a foot pocket issue... hard to get that exactly right!

Will watch this threat to see if anyone posts any tricks...

Mike

Thanks Mike. Have you tried adjusting the spring strap? And if so, did that help at all?

Also, I'd like Hollis to chime in here....

Thanks Mike. Have you tried adjusting the spring strap? And if so, did that help at all?

Also, I'd like Hollis to chime in here....

Not yet... the spring strap is pretty comfortable on the dry suit boots, actually, don't know if that would help, but I might try that. Also, will be in Bonaire in a few weeks (Hooray!), and I might take them and see if I can get them to cinch down around my booties.

Mike

It seems as though the foot pocket is too wide. XL Jet Fins don't do this. Hollis also says (on they're site) that there are "Multiple strap mounting positions for a fine tuned fit", but I'm not seeing this. Any ideas? I'm not sure if this will even solve the problem, but before I send them back and go with a different fin, I'd like to at least try.

I wear about the same size boots as you and with a hard soled bootie the regular F1's are pretty snug. I think i'm in between sizes but in the water they feel fine.

The F-1's have up to 3 positions. You just need to take the nut off the pin with a 1/4 inch wrench ( unless they changed the side to some stupid metric nut- mine are one of the first prototypes) and reposition the spring. The foot pockets are generous and the XL's especially so. I use Pinnacle hard sole boots with mine and they fit fine with one side all the way in and one side on the rear hole. I'm a size 9 in that boot by the way. I have one of my fins on my lap now and looking at it, it appears that if needed I could even add a hole between the factory ones. There is definitely enough material. Now the downside is that they are too sloppy with my thinner tropical boots. I can get the spring tight enough but the foot pocket is too loose. My solution for now is to use my old USD Blades. Until the new black and yellow Hollis F-1's come out. Then I'm getting a set of those in large.

Thanks guys. So, Jim; By 3 positions, do you mean you can move the spring forward on one side (or both). I see 2 small bolts on the sides of the fin. Right now (default) the strap is connected to the rear of the 2 bolts. So if I move one side up a level, this would be position 2, and if I move both sides up, this would be position 3? There is no documentation on this from Hollis, at least no with mine. I'm wondering if this will solve the lateral movement issue.

Back
Top Bottom