Which Agency??????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tami

Reaction score
I am an advanced diver 200+ dives and would like to become an intructor, I just cant decide whether to go Padi, Naui or SSI. It is really hard to get unbiased advice as all the Padi divers say not to even consider anything else and Naui instructors say dont be brain washed by PADI, the NAUI standards are much higher and safer and it goes on...
So seriously Padi is the best marketed and wide spread so employment prospects may be better - but is bigger better???

Does anyone have some real advice? No sales pitches for your agency please!!!!

Thanks,
Tami

From My experience PADI seems the way to go. My current instructor, well person who I wish to learn from, is PADI
he started out NAUI, but the shop he was with closed it's door, he made the switched to PADI. Another instructor who was SSI made a switch for the money. Well not the money but the fact that more people hear about PADI therefore are more likely to look for a PADI shop.

Is bigger better? Depends,in regards to diving, I recommend to people interested in diving regardless of which organization is are you comfortable with the instructor? Do you learn from the instructor?

Which organization did you get certified with? Did you feel comfortable with what you were taught? Do you believe something different should be taught than what you were?
I wouldn't want to be taught by someone who didn't believe what they were teaching.

just my Yuan worth.

If you want to suceed professionally the best way to go, in my opinion only, is to be a Padi pro.

The reason is simple: the vast majority of employers (resorts, diving clubs, schools etc) are Padi affiliated and they ask for Padi instructors. Moreover students ask for PADI certifications because this is what they know of and it is really time consuming to try to change their mind !
Concluding the most important factor in my opinion is NOT the agency you will choose, this should be strictly a business decision. The point is your abilities, knowledge and caring for your students!!! You can be the best instructor in the world :) no matter yuour agency !!

Just work hard !!

Manogr

The quality of instruction comes not from the agency, but from the Instructor (wow...I gotta write that one down!) I've seen excellent instructors from all the agencies..as well as some people I wouldn't trust to housetrain my dog.

But, from a business point of view, I think PADI is the most world-wide agency for recreational diving. Once you get instructor for any agency, I think doing a cross-over to another agency is pretty easy. So, you do have an option to change if you need to. I know PADI is the main agency in Guam..and is popular in Japan too.

Good luck!

think most people miss out on another widely used agency in the US, which is the YMCA. But I am going to have to agree with what the others are saying. Find an instructor you like and trust no matter what the agency and then look in what it would take to switch to the agency you want to work from.

I don't like to get political about which agency is better or more prestigious. From where I sit in the water, the person or instructor makes the learning atmosphere. There are plus and minuses to all sides. Just do your best at whatever you do and the rest will follow.

Bottoms Up...Bubbles Up!!!!
Cindy

Tami,

Some of the arguments that have been made are not valid. Employment opportunities are available regardless of which agency you choose. Students rarely look for a particular agency, most students aren't even aware there are different agencies. When students have heard of agencies and go searching for a particular one some do look for PADI, but others are looking for an alternative.

"The quality of instruction comes not from the agency, but from the Instructor"

Sorry Abby, but that's simply not true. While the individual instructor is important and can alter a course to make it better or worse, the agency sets the tone and the standards which must be followed. Standards vary greatly from agency to agency. You can not teach what you've never learned.

There are major differences between agencies and you should find the one that fits you best. If marketing and size are all that matters to you then PADI is certainly the way to go.

If OTOH, you find course content, organization and the amount of structure important you'll need to do a little more research.

None of the agencies are perfect and all of them have advantages.

SSI requires instructors to be affiliated with a shop. Some folks like this concept, others like the ability to go independent, you have to decide for yourself. I don't know much about SSI's standards.

There are two major viewpoints on teaching diving. Only you can decide which viewpoint is right for you.

Viewpoint 1.

Diving is fun and easy. It is possible to make the course easy as well if we eliminate skills that might possibly frighten anyone on their first day of class. If too many skills are included it results in task loading which will interfere with a student learning necessary tasks and make them an unsafe diver.

Viewpoint 2.

Diving is fun and easy. It is possible to make the course easy as well if we begin with simple skills and allow plenty of practice time on each skill. Once a simple skill is mastered, other elements are added to the skill allowing plenty of time to practice each element. When those added elements are mastered, still more elements are added in the same manner. By approaching skill development in this manner we are able to teach quite complex skills in a manner that makes it easy for students. Skills that might seem frightening to a student on the first day of class are a logical and easy progression by the time those skills are presented in class. This gives a student confidence and the ability to solve problems without panic.

Some agencies use viewpoint 1, others use viewpoint 2. There are some which fall somewhere in between. There are more than 2 agencies. Most divers are PADI certified. PADI is the largest agency by far. PADI follows viewpoint 1. NAUI & YMCA follow viewpoint 2.

You'll teach more in depth with a YMCA course, NAUI is not as comprehensive, but still has a good deal of material. PADI is much less complete, especially when it comes to pool skills. As far as structure, PADI is much more rigid, giving instructors less freedom to make changes. NAUI and YMCA are very flexible allowing you to organize your class in the manner that suits you and your students best as long as you meet standards. PADI allows you to teach all topics by having students watch videos. If you'd prefer, you can teach the material yourself. YMCA requires you to teach the material. I'm not sure of NAUI's policy in the regard.

If you choose an agency then find out you don't like its style or philosophy you won't be happy. Find one that fits you and you'll be much happier. PADI is an excellent choice for many, if it suits you choose it. Personally, I'd be miserable as a PADI instructor, we would not be a good match. Good luck in your search.

WWW™

At our shop the open water instructors hold certifications from YMCA, NAUI, NASDS, PADI, SDI/TDI, SSI and others. After a decade of experience with all these agencies, we decided to use SSI. The decision was a "total package" decision, involving curriculum, structure, support, training materials, standards, flexibility, responsiveness, enthusiasm and business practices and relationships, as well as worldwide acceptance.
Rick

Before I start- let me say that I am an SSI instructor, so keep in mind that this system is the one I know best.

First of all you have to ask yourself a few questions:

Why are you going to become an instructor, is the first.
-If the answer is "becouse I want to instruct new divers, and make a living of it" Than I must first tell you you won't make a lot of money of it. Than I will tell you, that probobly, the best oportunities for you will be with PADI.

-If the answer is "Becouse I want to be a better diver, broaden my horizons and maibe teach a few friends/family members how to dive" I'd say everything but PADI, Becouse PADI's system dosent allow of to much "horizon broadening".

Let me give you the pros/cons of PADI and SSI (cant say much about NAUI) in my opinion:

SSI- PROs- The system is very flexible. you are commited to minimal standards (that are a bit stiffer than PADI's) but encouraged to make your own more stricked standards, If you feel it nessesary. I also belive, that the continual courses of SSI are better (to be advanced, for example you need 24 dives, not 12) becouse of higher standards. SSI also encourages instructors to know more for themselves, and teach more, if they think it is good (sometimes teaching more may not be good, beciyse of "overloading"). SSI also has a system of inspection that keeps instructors to the minimal standards, and advises new instructors.

CONs-One MAJOR con is that you must work through an SSI store, and cant work for anyone else (working independantly is possible, actualy, as long as you are affiliated with a an SSI dealer). You must remeber that SSI is an organization of OWNERS, not of INSTRUCTORS. Though I used to be angry with that, I grew to acknowledge the benefits of this system.

PADI's pros-Like said, the biggest organisation, with the biggest employment options. Also becoming an instructor with PADI is easier than with any other agency, as the standards are lower. PADI also belives that to be an instructor dosent mean you need minimal intelegance. It gives you everything chewed up and ready to swallow, just read it, they even tell you how long it should take you, so If you'r not to bright, PADI may be the place for you.

CONs-The last 2 pros, in my opinion are actualy cons, but that's for you to judge. Another thing is that if you DO want to add things in courses PADI restricts you. They say you are allowed to do it, but if you read the little letters, you discover that if anything happens and you dosomething not like the book says, in PADI the insurance wont cover you, and probobly, the organization wont back you up. SSI stand for their own. I also belive that the independant instruction method is not good, since instructors have a kind of freedom that may become "evil". I know of people that made a 2.5 crash diving course and became certified. I led few of these on guided dives, and the way they looked matched the kind of course they had.

I dont know much about NAUI, like I said, but I belive it is somewhere in between- freedom both in employment and in choosing you ways, but you'll have to dig more for that.

Hope I helped you :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom