Whiskey Wreck 9-11-10 Dive Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SuPrBuGmAn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Got a lazy morning in on Saturday and still managed to get a dive in early Saturday afternoon. I met up with David F a little before 2PM at Down Under to get a fill, and he had to buy some new booties. This was David's first time back in the water in several years, so he wanted something easy - Whiskey Wreck seemed to fit the bill. The public parking was nearly filled but we managed to squeeze in on the side of the boardwalk by Bahama Bobs. The water was blue/green and seemingly atleast somewhat clear.

David was using my OW setup and a freshly filled AL80 and I monkey dived my Nomad again with a single 72(starting with only 1300psi). We made the short walk to the water, with several people on the beach and in the water itself. The surf was small, maybe shin high, and we waded out waste deep to finish out gearing up. There was a dive flag WAY east of the wreck, by a couple hundred yards... they were seemingly lost. There was a slight easterly sideshore current, that certainly didn't help them. Visibility was a clear 10-12' and the water temperature was 86F and no thermocline really. We both dove trunks and were very comfortable. The stern section of the wreck is still covered and the port side of the main span is also now covered with the interior of the wreck filled with sand. The starboard side is still very exposed and there are a few pipes coming out the interior of the wreck that are still visible. The good news is the bow section of the wreck is still very visible, and actually has more relief than the main span. Parts of both port and starboard hulls are visible there with lots of A frames, cross sections, masts(or whatever), derrek, and other parts of machinery are scattered about. There's a TON of blue crab out and a few stone crab(including one monster). Flounder are still around as are pigfish, grunts, mangrove, butterflyfish, puffers, butterfly rays, southern rays, blennies, and bar jacks. We saw a few small stinging nettles that were looking pretty eaten up, but didn't recieve any stings. Had a dive lasting 52 minutes with a max depth of 14'. I burned about 1000psi out of the 72 for that. It was a great, easy little dive!

Hit up Bahama Bobs afterwards, I had a pink lemonade and nom'd on some gator bites a bit(had already eaten lunch). It was a good time. David did great too, didn't at all seem like he had been out of the water for years on years.

Thanks for the report!
1000 psi out of a 72 for almost an hour.......damn!

Totally cool! Thanks Mat!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom