Anyone know what this is?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick Inman

Advisor
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I found this this morning in the local lake at 12 feet. I was never in the military so I have no clue what this is fired from.
It says on it:
CTG 40MM
M407A
AMM LOT MA-52-54 (last two numbers hard to read, a guess)

See the picture below.
(edit: Picture is in next post, sorry)

Anyone know?
Thanks!

Here's the pic:

It looks like it's from a 40mm grenade launcher, but I've been out of the army for 16 years so.....?

iscuba once bubbled...
It looks like it's from a 40mm grenade launcher, but I've been out of the army for 16 years so.....?

Looks like iscuba has it right.

Bringing that shell up was not something I would have done. That stuff can be pretty unstable. I would HIGHLY recommend you contact the local military or police to have that disposed of properly. I sure wouldn't leave it laying around my house and pitching it into the trash isn't a real good idea either.

Yeah, I just got back from my LDS and was bragging about this find, and another diver who is current ARMY said HE wouldn't go near this thing. He gave me a long letcure on the design, use and distructive power of the 40mm grenade. He said there are two dangerious parts to this thing - the worst being the top which is water tight and could still explode even if it is 50 years old.
"So," I said, "banging on it with a hammer isn't a good idea? Yuck-yuck"
He didn't laugh.
So I called the local Sheriff's Dept and they'er on there way out right now.
I live 10 mins from the Idaho panhandle.
Can you say, Ruby Ridge...

Rick Inman once bubbled...

"So," I said, "banging on it with a hammer isn't a good idea? Yuck-yuck"
He didn't laugh.

Oh, sure, it's funny when Bugs Bunny does it....

...but whoever does dispose of it, I think I'd ask if they had an inert training shell of similar type for my trophy case!

It is definetly a 40mm Grenade. It is most likely HE/DP (High Explosive/Dual Purpose), that is the most common type. Hard to tell without the colors of the damn thing. Blue is practive, green with yellow or black marking is BOOMBOOM. Definetly not something you want to play with. if it is armed (45 meter rotating at 155 rotation per foot + kick-back set) then you could have a really bad day.

USMC DIVER

It's it ticking? *chuckle*

Rick Inman once bubbled...
I found this this morning in the local lake at 12 feet. I was never in the military so I have no clue what this is fired from.
It says on it:
CTG 40MM
M407A
AMM LOT MA-52-54 (last two numbers hard to read, a guess)

See the picture below.
(edit: Picture is in next post, sorry)

Anyone know?
Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom