Lionfish are HERE

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Those things spread like wildfire!

Uh oh, y'all best hurry and get your fold spears, nets, gloves, BFK's, and grills ready. :wink: Remember, those suckers have great memories, so make sure you get it and kill it or it WILL remember scuba divers the next time and hide; making it almost impossible to catch/kill.

One less lionfish in this world: Spearing a Lionfish on Vimeo

Video by Netmage
Killing by Deepstops

Additionally, be sure to reference all the Lionfish Eradication threads for some pretty awesome recipes.

Happy Killing and Grilling :).

Well, I guess I've been looking for a reason to get into spearfishing anyway. Do they taste good raw? SWMBO might give approval for me to get a speargun if they make good sashimi!

Thanks for posting this. I knew it was inevitable. They are now basically everywhere in the Caribbean, Bahamas, and east coast of FL, so it was just a matter of time before they arrived in the northern Gulf of Mexico. In fact, I'm rather surprised it took so long for them to show up in northern Gulf, since they had already spread as far as Bonaire early this year.

Good luck guys.
The battle will never end.
Chug
Whacked one yesterday.

Hmm... so educate me, why are you killing lionfish? Correct me if I am wrong but they are poisonous so you can not eat them and they don't really mess with divers, at least in my limited experience with them and stonefish. So what's the point in spear-fishing them, other than fun, when you could get snapper or something you could eat instead?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom