U.S.S. Massachusetts - Pics and Video

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hetland

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Last two Saturdays Team Recharge and Friends have been hitting the Massachusetts on our way back in. Viz and currents have varied depending on the days and where you are on the boat, but mostly the dives have been nice and pleasant, with little real work unless you go off in the sand and have to swim back against the current without the shelter of the hull. The shallow water is of course warm, and all of my diving over the past few weeks has been in a skin.

Barry and I stumbled across a beautiful spotted eagle ray two weeks ago (see vid). This past weekend I found one of the goliaths out in the open and followed him East across the hull until we both stumbled upon a second goliath! I followed them both for a bit marveling at their sub-sonic thumping. I THOUGHT I had captured some spectacular video of the meeting, but I botched it, and didn't actually start recording until I turned "off" the camera :depressed: I did a second dive, but by the time I reentered, I didn't feel like crowding them, and possibly wearing out the welcome for the next diver that wants a swim-along, so I just poked around enjoying some compressed air and the whispering of the reef.

None of my pics or vids turned out to be anything special, I was more interested in smelling the roses for a change instead of photographing them.

[vimeo]14981284[/vimeo]
U.S.S. Massachusetts on Vimeo

IMG_1072a.jpg

IMG_1081a.jpg

IMG_1087a.jpg

IMG_1091a.jpg

IMG_1088a.jpg

I have done that with the video before. How come it always happens with something awesome! Water clarity on the video is great. You got some great shots. Thanks for posting them.

Thanks for the pics and vid

Did you get lucky with the water clarity or is it usually this good? Excellent video!

Did you get lucky with the water clarity or is it usually this good? Excellent video!

Thanks!

I've seen 4' and almost 40' on the Mass. The average is probably 20' depending on the tides and rains. Generally, the water is good all around Pensacola right now. It looks a tad better in the video than id did in real life because I cut out a ton of green, and added a bit of red in the editing process.

The biggest concerns on the wreck are other boats, and sporty currents. There's a bit of line and nets down there too, so carry a cutting tool or two in case you get tangled.

It's one of my favorite spots because it's so shallow, and there is a wide range of fish and critters there all the time. It's also so big, it's like diving three different wrecks depending on where you are.

Thanks!

I've seen 4' and almost 40' on the Mass. The average is probably 20' depending on the tides and rains. Generally, the water is good all around Pensacola right now. It looks a tad better in the video than id did in real life because I cut out a ton of green, and added a bit of red in the editing process.

The biggest concerns on the wreck are other boats, and sporty currents. There's a bit of line and nets down there too, so carry a cutting tool or two in case you get tangled.

It's one of my favorite spots because it's so shallow, and there is a wide range of fish and critters there all the time. It's also so big, it's like diving three different wrecks depending on where you are.

I was wondering why the video didn't have that typical green tint to it, I mean 2 weeks ago at Ft Pickens the water had the green tint to it. Well-done on the editing front then as it looks great compared to what it would look like in real life.

There is so much life on that wreck, it is amazing. I need to make it a priority to dive it next time when I am in Pensacola.

Great video along with good sounds, Got to learn to do that sound thing.Great way to end a day of diving,checking out the Mass.Need to be planning for something this weekend, I know Jessie will be at Saint Andrews.A great trip would be to take the boat and dive the far side of Saint Andrews.

Last edited:
Wow!! I can't believe you saw all those neat critters on the Mass! Awesome!

Thanks for the report and video. Looks a great day on the Mass!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom