Destin area diving II

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Guba

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Thanks to everyone who anwered my previous questions about diving in the Destin area. My friend and I will be heading thataways in about two weeks, and we look forward to seeing as much as we can of what Destin has to offer (well, as much as we can over about three days...). However, we always like to have a "plan B". In the unhappy event that the Gulf is waved out, are there other diving destinations onshore in the Destin locale (lakes, springs, quarries, etc...) that we might visit?

Can you tell us about the particulars of such destinations--facilities, air availability, vis, amenities, regulations, and getting there?

Anything you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

(two Texans who want to support the dive industry along the Gulf Coast)

If the boats are not going, there are several other possible diving locations:

1. Vortex... pay to dive spring... has air, nitrox on site, can be crowded, but you get wet.

2. Morrison Springs. If the water is clear, a great dive and free, but if the river backs up...not good. No gas available there. Just check here for conditions and who is going there.

3. Shore diving. This depends on tides...how bad, the bad seas are, the wind direction, but I've done several nice dives from shore when the boats were not going out... also seen the water so messed up that this was not possible. Location sort of start over by Mobile and go to Panama City...but the Destin Jetties and Saint Andrew's park in Panama City are the closest to Destin..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom