Training dive, Cove 2, 9/15/10

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TSandM

Missed and loved by many.
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
I thought I would write about this dive, because it in many ways typifies things about DIR divers in our area, and in other ways, illustrates some misconceptions.

One of our local divers (LauraJ here) has taken it upon herself to organize a series of midweek dives, either for people who dive this way, or for people who are simply curious about it and want to take the frequently-given advice that the best way to learn about DIR diving is to dive with people who do it. After a somewhat slow start, they're starting to take off, and Laura and her friend Lamont had ten divers to try to help last week. So I prioritized getting there to lend a hand last night.

I arrived to an already dark parking lot with a steady drizzle, and I figured there probably wouldn't be many people there. But as it turned out, we had eight divers altogether, which is not bad for the hour and the weather -- we were essentially the only people there to dive. The extra canister lights I had brought to lend were distributed, to the pleasure of the recipients, and we sorted teams. I buddied up with a fellow who has begun but not completed his Essentials class, and we sat on the sea wall and developed a plan for what each of us wanted to practice, and how we were going to work a good fun dive into the process.

After finishing the plan and doing our gear checks, we surface swam out to the can buoy, because we were going to begin our dive with a descent to 20 feet, and do mask skills. However, the buoy was a popular destination, so we decamped to another one nearby, so we could spend time sitting in midwater without being a roadblock for anyone else. We descended into dark but delightfully clear water, and leveled out at 20 feet, and took turns with the drill. I was pleased at how well it went, especially since I can't remember the last time I did a mask flood and clear in cold water.

We went on down to the bottom and did a round of S-drills. My buddy was somewhat confused when I requested to do another drill as donor, but I wasn't at all happy with how it had gone, and quitting on a poor performance isn't improving anything. The second time, I was smoother, but I need to do more of these to get them to "Danny standard" again.

Once the drills were finished, we went diving! Off into the night, in search of critters, and the night delivered. One of the first things we found was a small red octopus busily swimming himself somewhere. We had not disturbed him -- he came from upslope of us -- so I don't know where he was headed or why, but when our lights hit him, he landed and curled his arms for a few seconds, before deciding that the underside of the nearby piling looked like a better bet for safety.

The next thing we found was the scattered portion of the jackstraw pilings, where we promptly encountered not one or two, but THREE decorated warbonnets on the same end of the same log! The first was tiny, and as I was pointing it out to Ross, he was wondering why I wasn't looking at the larger one just a few inches away (which I shortly spotted). Then, as Ross looked at those, I peered into the end of the piling and found yet a bigger one. Shaka signs were definitely exchanged.

We wandered about a bit, and found a few alabaster nudibranchs, including one large and very pretty one that was actively crawling somewhere. Then we found the Honey Bear debris, and checked those pilings, which didn't provide any more warbonnets, but did have two lovely middle-sized Red Irish Lords. I also found another sculpin that made me wish I'd had a camera, because I think it was a padded, but I would have loved a photo to compare to the book. There was no octopus under the Honey Bear, and it was obvious why -- the space was occupied by the largest ling cod I have EVER seen in Cove 2. Its toothy grin was positively scary!

We were at 35 minute dive time, out of an agreed-upon 45 total, so I headed homeward, finding my favorite Cove 2 feature, which is a group of pilings leaning toward one another, creating a small, triangular space one can carefully swim through (and I always do -- just try to keep a cave diver out of anything you can swim UNDER). I had only one small brush with a fin this time, so I was pleased.

Out in the open, we stopped for our final skill, which was SMB deployment. My buddy shot his, and I saw a few things that could be improved, so I signaled him to watch, and I shot mine. I was laughing at myself while I did it, because my PADI DM training kicked in, and I was "emphasizing critical attributes" during the process. But it worked, because my buddy understood exactly what I was trying to show him. So no training is without value :)

We did an ascent, and at the end of it, my buddy got a bit too much air in his feet, and eventually lost a fin. He had the excellent presence of mind to drop his spool immediately, to give us a very good reference for where the fin might have gone as it fell, so I handed him my bag and redescended, and did a nice circular search pattern, and FOUND the fin. I retrieved the spool and got to do yet another ascent while winding one up, which was good practice. As I was doing it, I was again chuckling, because this is a DIR mentoring dive, and what am I doing? Solo diving . . . :)

As it turned out, at the end of what I thought was a pretty short dive, we were the last ones out of the water. We were met in the parking lot by Laura, who had the cleverest little propane stove, and had boiled water for cocoa. A hot cup of chocolate, topped with marshmallows, was a welcome treat in the persistent rain, and was accompanied by homemade brownies with enough chocolate in them to ensure a restless, sleep-deprived night.

An evening of community and mentoring, skills reinforcement, and thorough enjoyment of the little jewels of our marine environment. This is what it's all about.

Thanks Lynne for a wonderful write-up. Sounds like a lot of fun and a good way to keep the gear wet and skills somewhat intact. Great initiative and very generous of everyone to donate their time ... and hot chocolate :)

Henrik

Well, the wonderful thing about Puget Sound, is that our version of quarry dives comes with octopuses . . . :D

I thought I would write about this dive, because it in many ways typifies things about DIR divers in our area, and in other ways, illustrates some misconceptions...
I enjoyed your report, Lynne. Makes me want to ask if I could join you guys one of these days -- if it weren't for the 3+ hr drive one way. As I was reading it I kept thinking about a post I read in another forum and how people think of DIR divers:

These guys practice beyond belief. While I'm busy watching my iPod on deco, they're all essentially doing a synchronised underwater ballet over a 3 hour period. Every move is synchronized. Everyone is watching everyone else. No one's buoyancy goes out by as much as an inch the entire dive. Cylinders fly around effortlesly from side to side as they perform a form of tank yoga. The line is rarely touched unless the current picks up to hurricane levels.

On the bottom, no one even thinks of having fun. They kick with a studied casualness belied by the intensity of the expression on their faces as they ensure millimeter accurate goals of placement in all three axes at the end of each kick.

Following the dive, the conversation is rarely about what they saw on the bottom. it's about how each tank change... each gas switch... each bump of the line... played out during deco.

Given the intensity of their concentration on these mechanical issues, how are their acts dangerous? They're anything but fun... they're Luddite in their unwillingness to take advantage of technology... but are they unsafe? I suspect not. The UTD guys rarely seem to be having much fun to my hedonistic, heterodoxical eye. But they are a thing of beauty to watch as they labour their way through each perfectly executed dive.

Nick, I'm not sure whether you'll view this as supportive or not, but I did feel that it needed to be pointed out... my point, in conclusion, is that divers who concentrate this hard on their every move, avoiding any semblance of having fun on any dive, are probably fine perenially injecting gas, and performing manoeuvres the rest of us would find difficult when their buddy suddenly goes apesh*t. In fact, I suspect that there's even a practiced way for a UTD diver to GO ape****.

I enjoyed your report, Lynne. Makes me want to ask if I could join you guys one of these days -- if it weren't for the 3+ hr drive one way. As I was reading it I kept thinking about a post I read in another forum and how people think of DIR divers:

Bear in mind that a good part of that comment is firmly tongue-in-cheek.

Also, bear in mind that Andrew Ainslie loaned me his O2 bottle last weekend when somehow I arrived on the boat with only 900 psi of O2.
My entire day would have been shot if he hadn't generously done that...

Nick

You know, we dove a wrecked airplane in 140 feet of water on Sunday. On the boat, and at lunch, I didn't hear a soul talk about gas switches or buoyancy -- my buddies and I did a brief debrief, to identify any issues, and then we talked about the plane and what we saw and what the conditions underwater were, and what our plans for our next dives were and where they'd be and when. There were 9 of us, all with some kind of DIR training, but we managed to have fun anyway.

I think some people do technical diving because the technical part of it intrigues or satisfies them. They wouldn't be happy if the same destination were in ten feet of water. But I think those people are DIR and other technical agencies, too. I DO think this approach to diving attracts perfectionists, and I know that I can have an awfully good time practicing skills, if no other diving is in the offing. (I've been known to say that that is what winter is for; the water is clear, but there is almost nothing to see in it, so we may as well do skills :) )

But everybody in my circle of regular dive buddies dives to have fun of one sort or another. The baby octopus video I posted was made by a GUE C2/T2 diver, assisted by a GUE T1 diver and a NAUI Tec diver. The 10 foot lumpsucker dives we did last winter were done by two Fundies divers and a C1 diver. The spectacular dive to Twin Peaks (150 fsw) I did with Kevin in Monterey on Labor Day weekend was anything but grim; when we weren't busily pointing things of interest out to one another, or peering in cracks and holes in the rock, we were chasing jellies in midwater or doing barrel rolls on the scooters.

The message I constantly try to get across is that this kind of practice makes diving MORE fun, because better control, better communications, solid emergency skills and practiced awareness reduces stress and allows the diver to be in better control of his dive.

Slamfire, come down some Friday evening -- we'll put you up, and you can dive with us on Saturday and Sunday morning, and then drive home. Shoot, we drove up for one day of diving at Whytecliff in January!

Lynne, thank you so much for the kind write up :)

I'd have video to share of their drills, but some days it's more important to help mentor a baby diver than it is to torture people with the camera :)

I'm just glad everyone had fun, because when it's all said and done, that's the purpose of these dives.

Bear in mind that a good part of that comment is firmly tongue-in-cheek.
Nick
I thought the post was very funny. This was a very loooong, conflictive thread. It was so long that I felt I should have gotten some kind of C-Card for just reading through all of the posts. Andrew was one of the more conciliatory posters in the thread. I think this post was well timed and provided good relief of tensions to the entire thread. I was reading and imagining Robert Stack (Unsolved Mysteries narrator) narrating the post and the Madagascar Penguins acting out all the actions Andrew was describing.

Slamfire, come down some Friday evening -- we'll put you up, and you can dive with us on Saturday and Sunday morning, and then drive home. Shoot, we drove up for one day of diving at Whytecliff in January!
Thanks, Lynne. One of these days I'll send you a pm with a tentative Friday to take you up on your offer. My buddies did tell me about the group from south of the border that came over here in January. Unfortunately I was in FL diving the Spiegel Grove and the Dewitt Clinton and didn't get to meet you guys.

Well, the wonderful thing about Puget Sound, is that our version of quarry dives comes with octopuses . . . :D

Rub it in, why don't ya' :wink: I'll have to check out NW diving some time.

Hysterical write-up of DIR divers/diving - wow :D

Henrik

Since joining SB a few years ago I have always marveled at the enthusiasm of the PNW contingent. It seems to have disproportionally high DIR ratio among it's ranks. Thank you for your contributions! :thumb:

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom