Can anyone do this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DeputyDan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
There is a checklist in the September 2010 Dive Training magazine (page 43) titled:

Assessing Your Medical Fitness to Dive.One of the items is:

Inability to perform moderate exercise (example walk 1 mile within 12 minutes)

I do three miles three times a week on a treadmill or elliptial and have for several years and I can't walk 1 mile in under 12 minutes.... I have to jog to reach that time.

What the hell ?????

I think that should be "run or walk 1 mile in under 12 minutes". If you can jog it, then you have performed the essential part of the exercise which is to cover the required distance in the required time. I think you're good to go!

5 mph is one seriously fast walk!!

I pretty much top out at 4.2 mph over a full mile.

Possibly if I had 6" longer legs.....?

Run! Jog! I'm trying to to keep my knees for further use. I can walk all day, if necessary, but I can't do it fast. Sounds like some elitest fad to me.

Bob
--------------------------------
A man's got to know his limitations. Harry Callahan

12 minutes for a mile is a good time for me jogging on a treadmil. actually walking that fast is uncomfortable, hard on the knees and other joints, and feels very unnatural. I never did try to set a best time for the mile since when it got easier I just upped the distance. and at nearly 50 at the time a mile and 1/2 in 11:30 was the best I could do. Haven't done any serious training for a couple years due to cost of gym membership, work, and other items. But based on past experience it would take me 3-4 weeks of 3 times a week to get back to that level.

As one gets older, the joints go first. The 12 minute mile is not a really tough requirement. But if you have old joints, it isn't a good idea to inflict that kind of pounding on your body on a routine basis.

Any form of aerobic exercise that gets you breathing a bit hard for 12 minutes would be a good proxy be it rowing, swimming, cycling or something else.

No offense, but do any of you seriously take Dive Training as an authority on the subject?

There is some good information int it at times and it does serve a purpose for PADI (mostly marketing and supplemental reading for its abbreviated OW classes), but many of the articles I have read in in are simplistic bits of regurgitated advice passed on by 2nd rate journalist. This is a nice example....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom