Old Kowaliga Bridge South End

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tom Smedley

Tommy
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Stopped on the way to the farm this morning and did a 60 minute dive. Was great just diving with a swimsuit. Gear together and in the water less than five minutes after arrival. Came near to an expensive mistake. Was in waist deep water and ready to splash when a voice in my right ear said "phone one out of range and not connected." Pulled off the fins and trodded back to the truck to put my bluetooth away. Then continued the dive.

Surface temperatue read 84 degrees and the first few feet were crystal clear. Then as depth increased so did the turbidity. At 25 feet I had at least 15 feet of vis but around thirty feet it dropped to 25 inches and at 32 feet the first mild thermocline left me with zero vis. I continued on compass to the ridge and found better vis toward the lake center. Heard only about four boats and two actually slowed to idle speed for my flag.

I turned left at the ridge and found an unopened can of Coke. Then followed the fiber optic cables toward the center of the lake and found a huge anchor fowled in the cable. Lots of large mouth and stripe bass. Several lazy old catfish and the biggest prize - Fresh water jellies. Magnificent little creatures they are.

I ended the dive and rushed to the farm for fried chicken, potato casserole, field peas, corn bread, and chocolate pie. I cut grass until almost dark weekend before last. When I went over to inspect my work I found a two-foot high Hornet nest hanging from a limb less than two feet from the track of my tractor tire. I considered things for a few minutes and rushed home to check my lottery ticket.

Had dinner with my best friend and did a thirty-minute Skype call with the grandkids.

All in all it was a great day......

I've got leftovers.....
Thanks for the report, now I'm hungry.

What a great day!!

Im new to Auburn and would like to dive the old bridge, but don't know the "lay of the lake..." where could I find some directions for diving this area? Thanks...

The Clan will be diving the site on Sunday morning if you are interested.

I have to go out of town this weekend but thanks for letting me know...If you go again anytime soon, please keep me in mind! Thanks.

We only got one dive in before the bottom dropped out, but had a good time. We saw some freshwater jellyfish. Thanks to Cade for showing us around.

Note to self: if you have to surface and locate the group/flag, swim all the way to the flag and descend to your team.
A simple but important diving lesson learned without dying makes for a great day in the drink. And the jellyfish were cool, too!

Back
Top Bottom