Equipment Exchange [Archive] - ScubaBoard - Scuba Diving Forum - Diving Social Network

View Full Version : Equipment Exchange

Sponsored Link
jepuskar
August 27th, 2003, 11:24 AM
I did my equipment exchange skill last night with a fellow DMC.

That was fun in a stressful way. I was pretty much out of air about 2-3 times during the skill, but managed it well....I want to do it again though.

My buddy kept floating away because he didnt wear enough weight to keep his arse on the pool bottom..heheh

Any one else have any experiences they want to share with this skill?

:eek:

Jason

O-ring
August 27th, 2003, 11:26 AM
nt

jepuskar
August 27th, 2003, 11:33 AM
I wore my back inflate...

2 reasons...not that I feel I need to explain, but I WANT TOO!!

1) Would need to adjust it and then adjust it again

2) Chlorine

O-ring
August 27th, 2003, 11:42 AM
jepuskar once bubbled...
I wore my back inflate...

2 reasons...not that I feel I need to explain, but I WANT TOO!!

1) Would need to adjust it and then adjust it again

2) Chlorine
Some feel they are harder to deal with in rescue/gear exchange situations and I wanted to see how you dealt with it and how your possibly non-bp/wing aware buddy dealt with it.

jepuskar
August 27th, 2003, 01:23 PM
My buddy was wearing a Dive Rite setup....and he ended up getting it all situated on me while I just sat there...lol, felt like I was in the 9th grade again having my mom dress me...oops, meant 1st grade...

We would still be down there if I had to figure it out.

O-ring, whats been up man...how come you dont call me at home anymore..are you still mad about what happened?

O-ring
August 27th, 2003, 01:33 PM
O-ring, whats been up man...how come you dont call me at home anymore..are you still mad about what happened?
...but I am not calling until I don't have to use the donut pillow to sit on anymore.

jepuskar
August 27th, 2003, 02:02 PM
I warned you, but at the time you didnt seem to mind.

My power inflator is still messed up from that incident. Wasn't that your idea? Whenever I go to inflate now, it just sticks in the open position and I am forced to dump rather quickly.

It can get quite messy.

O-ring
August 27th, 2003, 02:05 PM
:D

jepuskar
August 27th, 2003, 02:09 PM
If that is what I need to do to become a Regulator, than that's what I'll have to do.

=-x

jiveturkey
August 27th, 2003, 09:41 PM
O-ring once bubbled...

...but I am not calling until I don't have to use the donut pillow to sit on anymore.

Although the door is open, I'm not going there. :D

But back to the equipment exchange, the first time I did it was pretty stressful but it definitely gets easier. I think the trick is to stay calm and do things very slowly. Breathing is priority. Even if you get halfway through a step and you have to stop for a breath, it's better to do it again after you get some gas.

It's a fun skill to do after you learn to do it properly. Having a smooth operating buddy helps alot.

WileEDiver
August 28th, 2003, 12:56 AM
So Jason, care to share your score on this skill?:)

GQMedic
August 28th, 2003, 01:25 AM
When I had to do equipment exchange, oh man, what a SNAFU!

Never wear weight integrated for THAT skill! LMFAO. I learned the hard way that a weight belt is just better for some things! Although, since I was the smart hiney that brought a weight integrated BC, I had to do equipment exchange with a weight integrated BC as well as one without and wearing a weightbelt. Nothing like trying to perform a skill upside down to wake ya up!

My first attempt at scuba bailout was nearly as humorous. If ever I looked like an idiot, it was at THOSE times!

*cracking up*

jepuskar once bubbled...
I did my equipment exchange skill last night with a fellow DMC.

That was fun in a stressful way. I was pretty much out of air about 2-3 times during the skill, but managed it well....I want to do it again though.

My buddy kept floating away because he didnt wear enough weight to keep his arse on the pool bottom..heheh

Any one else have any experiences they want to share with this skill?

Jason

seanrollins
August 28th, 2003, 03:38 AM
When I did my Dive Master, we showed up at the pool one day and the instructor sprung the equipment exchange on us. We had five minutes to organize with our buddies. Of course, my buddy and I figured we didn't have much to organize, so we just winged it. We did all right, but since then I learned the best way to do this skill. I also promised my Course Director that I wouldn't spill it, but here it goes:

Start off with your buddies gear on! Mask and all. Taking gear off is easy, but putting it back on is much easier if it's your own gear!

bermudaskink
August 28th, 2003, 10:30 AM
When I did it - our intstructor told us we had to exchange weight belts too. So we did. We managed it OK. Even though she had a lot less weight then me, we grabbed each other so together we didn't float up. We also had to take it all back off and exchange it back again - so wearing my buddies eqpmt first wouldn't have helped. I guess doing all this extra stuff gave me more confidence. When we found out that we didn't have to do that much I felt kinda proud.

I don't think the instructor meant to be hard on us. He was a new instructor and I think that's how he thought we were supposed to do it. :)

My advice to anyone about to do this skill is to take your time with it and focus on the buddy breathing - everything else you do, comes when you feel confident with the breathing. If you don't manage to finish something before your buddy has taken their two breaths - forget it, take your breaths and try again. Another cool thing to do is help your buddy as much as possible. Put the reg in their mouth for them if they don't have their hands free or can't see the reg cos they have their mask off.... take it in turns to help each other out.

You shouldn't short cut anything like wearing your buddie's stuff first really. The point of this excercise is to build confidence underwater and prove to your instructor and to yourself that you can think and act quickly underwater and solve problems without freaking out. So making it easier on yourself is only dealing yourself short of a valuable excercise.

saying
August 28th, 2003, 10:50 AM
What is the point of the Equipment exchange?

The best I can figure is that it's a comfort underwater thing. Or do "they" actually think that a divemaster sometimes runs into the situation where they have geared up so quickly that they hit the bottom and realize they have donned all of their buddy's gear?

jiveturkey
August 28th, 2003, 10:57 AM
saying once bubbled...
What is the point of the Equipment exchange?

The best I can figure is that it's a comfort underwater thing. Or do "they" actually think that a divemaster sometimes runs into the situation where they have geared up so quickly that they hit the bottom and realize they have donned all of their buddy's gear?

Like Bermudaskink said, it's about building confidence. It's about multi-tasking and dealing with a stressful situation. I don't think it has a regular practical use beyond that really.

jepuskar
August 28th, 2003, 11:10 AM
It is meant to be a comfort skill and a problem solving skill.

It really has no practical purpose in real life other than this. If you need to exchange gear underwater for whatever reason, the chances of you buddy breathing at the sametime is soo far out there it would be like Uncle Pug taken me off his ignore list, it just aint gonna happen.

As far as score goes, I think it is just a complete or incomplete.

As far as the skill circuit goes, I got an 85 for the 18 skills :)

jiveturkey
August 28th, 2003, 11:28 AM
jepuskar once bubbled...
As far as the skill circuit goes, I got an 85 for the 18 skills :)

Nice work. Congrats. It must feel good to get them over with. How much further do you have to go? Have you done your dm conducted programs?

MikeFerrara
August 28th, 2003, 11:42 AM
This skill is meant to test your problem solving skill under stress. The buddy breathing is meant to induce the stress and the equipment exchange is the problem that needs solving.

Students are not supposed to practice or plan. That defeats the purpose.

WileEDiver
August 28th, 2003, 12:01 PM
Jason,

Congrats and thanks for sharing your experiences, my equipment exchange exercise is scheduled for a week from Monday. BTW, on the skills circuit, isn't it 20 not 18 now?

Big-t-2538
August 28th, 2003, 12:06 PM
jepuskar once bubbled...
It is meant to be a comfort skill and a problem solving skill.

Bingo!!!....I see zero purpose for this skill other than that.....

Bail-outs are in the same boat so to speak, but it is slightly more conceivable than a need to exchange equipment.

Atticus
August 28th, 2003, 12:09 PM
You've just completed the most *FUN* skill in the DM program =-)

I get to play buddy for a friend that has to do it soon... Kind of looking forward to it.

- Atticus

jepuskar
August 28th, 2003, 03:08 PM
I have my 400yrd swim to do, just have to finish it.

I am doing a scuba review tonight with some divers, have my emergency assistance plan to do, rescue assessment, one more confined water dive helping students, certified divers in open water (harrassment dive) and thats all.

Should be done by next week!

scubaroyster
August 28th, 2003, 04:11 PM
Hey, you got two more skills to do...swim without mask and air depletion exercise. (20 not 18 skills) Tell your instructor to read his updates.

jepuskar
August 28th, 2003, 04:30 PM
Already did them.....didnt realize they werent part of the 18.

Tell your shrink to up your meds!!

:)

dc4bs
August 28th, 2003, 05:12 PM
When I did it, I was wearing an integrated jacket BC (Large) over a tshirt & swimsuit

My budy was in an older hardpack BC (small - the rainbow vest stile with the thick, plastic backplate).

The instructor was in a Zegal ranger (Large)

We got in the pool and the instructor motioned to swap with me so we did, no problem. Even though I had never had his Zegal on before, I was able to figure out the straps and stuff prety quick.

Then he motioned me and my buddy to swap...

Well, I was able to get into the small BC with a little wiggling (don't know if I could have done it on dry land without help...). Only having 1 waist buckle and a keeper on the console it was prety simple.

My buddy was swiming around in that large, strap/flap covered Zegal, occationaly looking out through the openings... ;)

He got it on OK but it took a while to get it straightened out.

Last, we all swapped back at once, round robin stile... There were others there watching us in case anything went wrong.

The instructor wanted to be sure we were comfortable enough to handle unfamiliar, ill fitting equipment and I thought we did prety good.

The mask, snorkle, fin ditch/don was the only hard part.

Swiming down, removing everything and surfacing was easy. going back and putting it all on AND clearing the mask before surfacing was a bit rough.

I found doing the full gear ditch/don with a regulator available to be trivial in comparison.

Scuba_Vixen
August 29th, 2003, 12:34 AM
Or at least a slight variation on the theme. Some points of penetration are too small for you and your gear together, being comfortable without it, and being able to get it off and on sure helps. The other thought that comes to mind is entanglement, it's sometimes easier to remove the scuba unit to be able to free it, having your buddy watch at a safe distance, lest he become entangled with you, and then offer help when the hazzard is cleared, or reasonably safe to do so.

You know you have it down pat when you can swap wetsuits too,

Darlene

GQMedic
August 29th, 2003, 06:13 AM
thingy...

But, it wasn't stressfull, it was more awkward and amusing.

I didn't really think much about the purpose of the skill, more of just how amusing it was. More like a drill on how to make myself look completely silly underwater.

I suppose it makes sense to build confidence and calm under stressful situations, but, that is not what I'd call a stressful situation. It makes for fun stories though.

bermudaskink
August 29th, 2003, 07:57 AM
That was probably because you were already a divegod and nothing phased you in the water :)

For some people with less confidence in the water, this can be stressfull. My buddy was ultra panicky all the way through and I had to keep giving her the reg so she wouldn't bolt to the surface of the pool! (even though I hadn't had my 2 breaths), to help her out otherwise we'd never have got it finished cos she kept shooting to the top!

It's a very good sign that you didn't find it difficult. :)

Sponsored Link

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1