hurricanes & diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

citygrl

Reaction score
Hi-- I am going to Baja California Sur (Cabo, La Paz, etc) in a couple weeks and I was wondering if anyone knew how much the recent hurricane there would affect dive conditions. Also-- any recommendations of operators and site would be much appreciated. THANKS!!

(this is a cross-post from Mexico)

tend to blow out the vis BAD for some period of time.

Around here at least, even tropical storms do it - last year we had one and the vis was trashed for about 2 months.

Much depends on the current flow. If its high things will clear up in reasonable amounts of time, but if not....

From some practical experience, having been in La Paz on one trip and Roatan on another trip, just after a hurricane, my experience is mixed. The vis in Roatan wasn't that bad. The vis in La Paz seemed to be affected more.

I'm leaving Friday for three days boat diving in San Carlos, MX and am expecting that the water temp will have dropped compared to a couple weeks ago, due to wave action/turbulence from the hurricane. Whereas I was wearing a lycra two weeks ago, I'm taking a shorty and a 3/2mm suit depending on the temp change.

I'll be diving La Paz in Oct. with Baja Expedition's "Don Jose" liveaboard. Who are you diving with? Also, did you see the news coverage of the flooding in La Paz? It was pretty extensive and destroyed many homes and businesses.

Yup, all those winds will churn up the water and blow debris from the land. We get the same here from typhoons. Depending on the severity, it can affect visability for weeks. Ususlly it's not that bad. Why don't you call some local shops and ask them directly what the conditions are like?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom