Hollis Backplate Size & Small Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kevindwhite

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am a small, 5'3", diver. I have an aluminum Hollis back plate which I like. I bought my plate shortly after they appeared online. I am looking to add a steel plate for cold weather diving. My only complaint with the Hollis aluminum plate is the size. As a diver of small stature the aluminum plate is really about 3 inches too long for me. The top of the plate sits right on the bottom of my shoulder blades even when the bottom of the plate is just below my waist. This position causes the plate to constantly bang and rub my shoulder blades. The sensation is not unlike that with a heavily loaded backpack riding too high on a downhill hike except that I can't do anything about it. This arrangement causes excessive role due to the gap created when I bring my shoulder blades in toward my body. I already have the harness cinched as tight as is comfortable. Any tighter and I would start to lose mobility or blood flow. The sensation is bearable on short, single tank, dives but not when I am diving multiple times in a day.

My question for Hollis is, do you make a small steel plate? Some of your competitors, Deep Sea Supply and Halcyon for example, do make small plates but I would prefer to go with a name I trust. Also, Halcyon wants crazy money for their plates. I am headed to the channel islands in a couple of weeks on a 5-day live aboard and would love to have a new steel plate to play with.

I am a small, 5'3", diver. I have an aluminum Hollis back plate which I like. I bought my plate shortly after they appeared online. I am looking to add a steel plate for cold weather diving. My only complaint with the Hollis aluminum plate is the size. As a diver of small stature the aluminum plate is really about 3 inches too long for me. The top of the plate sits right on the bottom of my shoulder blades even when the bottom of the plate is just below my waist. This position causes the plate to constantly bang and rub my shoulder blades. The sensation is not unlike that with a heavily loaded backpack riding too high on a downhill hike except that I can't do anything about it. This arrangement causes excessive role due to the gap created when I bring my shoulder blades in toward my body. I already have the harness cinched as tight as is comfortable. Any tighter and I would start to lose mobility or blood flow. The sensation is bearable on short, single tank, dives but not when I am diving multiple times in a day.

My question for Hollis is, do you make a small steel plate? Some of your competitors, Deep Sea Supply and Halcyon for example, do make small plates but I would prefer to go with a name I trust. Also, Halcyon wants crazy money for their plates. I am headed to the channel islands in a couple of weeks on a 5-day live aboard and would love to have a new steel plate to play with.

Hi Kevin,

After reading your post, it sounds like an adjustment issue. Before running out and buying a new plate, it would help to see how your rig is adjusted. It should be sitting above your shoulder blades below the base of your neck - not below the shoulder blades. Below would certainly be uncomfortable for anyone. IF the top of the plate is set there, where does the bottom end? This will help give u a better idea.

Take care,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom